Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: V1 TO V2 TURBO ON 180
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:31 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:19 am
Posts: 7
Location: Cotati, Ca
So I bought a set of v2 turbo fins for my 180 drive. Any reason why I can't use the original rod masts? There is only about an 1 1/2" difference.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:39 pm 
Offline
Hobie Approved Guru

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:46 pm
Posts: 2855
Location: Escondido
If you bought Turbofins you need Turbo masts. If using V-2 fins, then V-2 masts would be best. "Standard" masts are too short for Turbos, allowing the leading edge tips to flop around. This will reduce the performance of the fins and possibly damage the fins in the long run. If you can't get the long masts now, it's best to use standard fins and masts until you can get a set. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:20 am 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 12411
Location: Oceanside, California
alkare wrote:
So I bought a set of v2 turbo fins for my 180 drive. Any reason why I can't use the original rod masts? There is only about an 1 1/2" difference.


There is a kit that does the upgrade which includes masts. If your drive is a bit older (before last spring)?... you could use the V1 to V2 Turbo kit which comes with the new style fins and the new booms.

V2
Image

V2 Turbo Fin Kit
72067002 ST-TURBO V2 FIN KIT MD180 BK/GR

If V1 to V2 Turbo Upgrade use:
81501112 MD180 V2 BOOM-MAST-TURBO FIN KIT

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Warranty and Technical Support
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:22 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:19 am
Posts: 7
Location: Cotati, Ca
Roadrunner wrote:
If you bought Turbofins you need Turbo masts. If using V-2 fins, then V-2 masts would be best. "Standard" masts are too short for Turbos, allowing the leading edge tips to flop around. This will reduce the performance of the fins and possibly damage the fins in the long run. If you can't get the long masts now, it's best to use standard fins and masts until you can get a set. 8)



Well I slipped the turbos onto the standard mast and I can't move the leading edge more than an 1/8" in the area where there is no mast. I think I will give it a test run when I get a chance. I got the turbo fins for just over $80 on ebay. New masts would be another $50.

I will let you know how things work out.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:35 pm 
Offline
Hobie Approved Guru

Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:46 pm
Posts: 2855
Location: Escondido
You could also try putting a 1 1/2" long plug (1/4 or 5/16" dowel) in the bottom of the fin to see if it makes a difference -- either way I think it will be an improvement over standard fins. IMO, you won't get the full potential of the Turbos at the higher speeds, and they will eventually crack at the tip of the existing mast due to flexing (depending on how hard you use them). It's sure worth a try though!. I'm looking forward to your results! 8)

PS. If you put a plug in one side (allowing about 1/4" gap for the fin to wind up) and try the Drive, you can test whether the plug helps. If the plug improves performance, that fin will have more thrust, making the boat rock slightly as you pedal. If the boat doesn't rock, then the plug probably didn't make a difference. :wink:

PSPS. I'm sure you realize that the V-2 fins attach to V-2 booms, so if you are changing from V-1 to V-2, presumably you got new booms with your fins.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:24 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:19 am
Posts: 7
Location: Cotati, Ca
Roadrunner wrote:
You could also try putting a 1 1/2" long plug (1/4 or 5/16" dowel) in the bottom of the fin to see if it makes a difference -- either way I think it will be an improvement over standard fins. IMO, you won't get the full potential of the Turbos at the higher speeds, and they will eventually crack at the tip of the existing mast due to flexing (depending on how hard you use them). It's sure worth a try though!. I'm looking forward to your results! 8)

PS. If you put a plug in one side (allowing about 1/4" gap for the fin to wind up) and try the Drive, you can test whether the plug helps. If the plug improves performance, that fin will have more thrust, making the boat rock slightly as you pedal. If the boat doesn't rock, then the plug probably didn't make a difference. :wink:

PSPS. I'm sure you realize that the V-2 fins attach to V-2 booms, so if you are changing from V-1 to V-2, presumably you got new booms with your fins.


I got the older set of the standard fins when I got the outback and did a warranty return for the pulls and the fins. Both got upgraded.

Not sure when I will get back out but I will let you know how it goes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:43 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:19 am
Posts: 7
Location: Cotati, Ca
Well I finally got out and the fins worked flawlessly. When I got out I checked them and found no defects. Glad I saved my money.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:44 pm 
Offline
Site Admin

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 12:44 pm
Posts: 12411
Location: Oceanside, California
alkare wrote:
Glad I saved my money.


The V1 to V2 is a free upgrade.

_________________
Matt Miller
Director of Parts and Accessory Sales
Warranty and Technical Support
Hobie Cat USA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:53 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joined: Tue May 16, 2017 10:55 am
Posts: 3
mmiller wrote:
alkare wrote:
Glad I saved my money.


The V1 to V2 is a free upgrade.


I bought a new Hobie Sport last May. Does it qualify for the free upgrade?
Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
© Hobie Cat Company. All rights reserved.
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group