Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: V1 TO V2 TURBO ON 180
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I bought a set of v2 turbo fins for my 180 drive. Any reason why I can't use the original rod masts? There is only about an 1 1/2" difference.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:39 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

If you bought Turbofins you need Turbo masts. If using V-2 fins, then V-2 masts would be best. "Standard" masts are too short for Turbos, allowing the leading edge tips to flop around. This will reduce the performance of the fins and possibly damage the fins in the long run. If you can't get the long masts now, it's best to use standard fins and masts until you can get a set. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:20 am 
Site Admin

alkare wrote:
So I bought a set of v2 turbo fins for my 180 drive. Any reason why I can't use the original rod masts? There is only about an 1 1/2" difference.

There is a kit that does the upgrade which includes masts. If your drive is a bit older (before last spring)?... you could use the V1 to V2 Turbo kit which comes with the new style fins and the new booms.

V2

V2 Turbo Fin Kit
72067002 ST-TURBO V2 FIN KIT MD180 BK/GR

If V1 to V2 Turbo Upgrade use:
81501112 MD180 V2 BOOM-MAST-TURBO FIN KIT

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner wrote:
If you bought Turbofins you need Turbo masts. If using V-2 fins, then V-2 masts would be best. "Standard" masts are too short for Turbos, allowing the leading edge tips to flop around. This will reduce the performance of the fins and possibly damage the fins in the long run. If you can't get the long masts now, it's best to use standard fins and masts until you can get a set. 8)

Well I slipped the turbos onto the standard mast and I can't move the leading edge more than an 1/8" in the area where there is no mast. I think I will give it a test run when I get a chance. I got the turbo fins for just over $80 on ebay. New masts would be another $50.

I will let you know how things work out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:35 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

You could also try putting a 1 1/2" long plug (1/4 or 5/16" dowel) in the bottom of the fin to see if it makes a difference -- either way I think it will be an improvement over standard fins. IMO, you won't get the full potential of the Turbos at the higher speeds, and they will eventually crack at the tip of the existing mast due to flexing (depending on how hard you use them). It's sure worth a try though!. I'm looking forward to your results! 8)

PS. If you put a plug in one side (allowing about 1/4" gap for the fin to wind up) and try the Drive, you can test whether the plug helps. If the plug improves performance, that fin will have more thrust, making the boat rock slightly as you pedal. If the boat doesn't rock, then the plug probably didn't make a difference. :wink:

PSPS. I'm sure you realize that the V-2 fins attach to V-2 booms, so if you are changing from V-1 to V-2, presumably you got new booms with your fins.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Roadrunner wrote:
You could also try putting a 1 1/2" long plug (1/4 or 5/16" dowel) in the bottom of the fin to see if it makes a difference -- either way I think it will be an improvement over standard fins. IMO, you won't get the full potential of the Turbos at the higher speeds, and they will eventually crack at the tip of the existing mast due to flexing (depending on how hard you use them). It's sure worth a try though!. I'm looking forward to your results! 8)

PS. If you put a plug in one side (allowing about 1/4" gap for the fin to wind up) and try the Drive, you can test whether the plug helps. If the plug improves performance, that fin will have more thrust, making the boat rock slightly as you pedal. If the boat doesn't rock, then the plug probably didn't make a difference. :wink:

PSPS. I'm sure you realize that the V-2 fins attach to V-2 booms, so if you are changing from V-1 to V-2, presumably you got new booms with your fins.

I got the older set of the standard fins when I got the outback and did a warranty return for the pulls and the fins. Both got upgraded.

Not sure when I will get back out but I will let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well I finally got out and the fins worked flawlessly. When I got out I checked them and found no defects. Glad I saved my money.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

alkare wrote:
Glad I saved my money.

The V1 to V2 is a free upgrade.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
alkare wrote:
Glad I saved my money.

I bought a new Hobie Sport last May. Does it qualify for the free upgrade?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

#fish wrote:
mmiller wrote:
alkare wrote:
Glad I saved my money.

I bought a new Hobie Sport last May. Does it qualify for the free upgrade?
Thanks.

I wish you would have answered my question. Now it's too late, and my drive is trash.