Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Going there in March, with a TI looking for any info from others that have been there. Places to stay, launch and if this is a kayak only or kayak/sail spot.
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There are multiple launch spots around Kings Bay. You could go from Kings Bay out to the Gulf / Crystal Bay via the Crystal river but its a long way (7 mi) so an alternative is drive out to Fort Island Trail launch which puts you on the outside by open water. Kings Bay can be busy with boats and manatee watchers but Crystal Bay is pretty desolate and remote. There are several motels around Kings Bay, not a lot but enuf to have a reasonable choice. I dont have any recommendations either way. For more paddle info see
http://paddleflorida.net/crystal-river-kings-bay-paddle.htm

Not sure what is meant by "kayak/sail" spot so dont know about that, other than to say there is a lot of shallow water...much like rest of Florida so it looks like open water but its a lot of skinny water. Have to be careful with the pedals so I guess must be careful when sailing. There is a marked channel for boats but outside the channel can be skinny. Tide change is not that great but enuf that low tide is of course real skinny and hi tide is usually go where you want in a kayak.

P.S. I was only there once but am quite familiar with other similar areas of Florida which are renowned for skinny water and hitting oyster beds. Its a great area.