Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We are ready to purchase and want to make sure that the Hobie 80045001 cart will fit our scupper holes. They are about 11.25 inches apart center to center, and 1.25 inches in diameter. They do not go through the top side of the hull. Our kayak was made in about 2003.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

All of our kayaks fit the Hobie Carts. No problem!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the prompt reply, Matt.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have they been cut down if they dont go through to top of scupper? if that is the case may be a potential damage issue?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have not yet purchased the cart, but will check the depth of the scupper and compare to length of the rod on the cart to make sure they do not have to be cut.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's pretty important for the uprights on the scupper cart to pass thru both the bottom ant top of the kayak, the wall thickness is very thin in between the top and bottom of the hull. Any load in there ( like from short uprights) will poke thru. I'm speaking first hand experience here, ( yep, we had the scupper cart drop down while walking over terrain, scupper cart uprights poked right thru the scupper sidewall, (really hard to fix)). Oops.
Most newer models, (if not all) now have a sleeve in the scupper holes to prevent that problem. Problem solved by Hobie , (thanks Hobie).
On our older Hobies we added our own sleeves with cheap pvc tubing, (home depot) and a little silicone, (took all of ten minutes to install and cost only a couple bucks). Good insurance....
FE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:35 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

fusioneng wrote:
It's pretty important for the uprights on the scupper cart to pass thru both the bottom ant top of the kayak, the wall thickness is very thin in between the top and bottom of the hull.
Fusioning, this particular model has no hole at the top of the scupper sleeves -- the cart dead-ends into the deck. I agree with WAVERIDER that the legs should be cut down, as the carts of that generation had shorter legs. An alternative is to adjust the cart clamps so the entire weight of the boat doesn't rest on the underside of the deck, but with the new carts, that would make the boat sit unnecessarily high.

Could you drill out the top of the scupper holes so the cart could slide in all the way? Maybe, but I would be reluctant to chance it. I used the old cart with this model Oasis with no problems. Just don't let the boat sit on the cart for an unnecessarily long time. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:51 am 
Site Admin

LarryBernath wrote:
They do not go through the top side of the hull. Our kayak was made in about 2003.

Just noticed this part of your question. If the scuppers are not clear through... They are not for a cart.

Cart scuppers are usually behind the aft seat area.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The depth of my scupper holes is 6.5 inches, so the rods must be a little shorter than that. The rods on the Hobie 80045001 Plug-in Cart look to be about 12 inches, so it will not work, nor will any other Hobie cart I see. A platform cart appears to be the only answer for my old 14-foot Tandem Mirage. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 am 
Site Admin

No scupper in the fat cargo area? Just behind the aft seat? That would be odd. All of the kayaks have had the same scuppers that goes clear through for the cart.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No. Only openings in the bottom of the hull are scupper holes mentioned above, drain holes from seat areas, and two slots for drives.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Ahhh. Had to refresh my memory with Jacques in our offices. I'm getting old! Yes, back in those days we were pre-scupper cart.

I would not recommend the plug in on that model. We were using strap on carts back then.

C-Tug?

CART C-TUG KAYAK CART
US$ 149.99

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks! This was a learning experience for both of us!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:57 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yes indeed, those were the good old days when the scupper cart had been invented but the upper hole had not yet been discovered!

Hobie carts then had 7" legs and I used mine (still have it) in the "incomplete" scuppers. Obviously the boat was designed to be used this way or it would not have had the scupper holes in the first place. As I recall, the lid is pretty thick and can take some weight. If I had this boat today, I (personally) would get a basic cart, fit it in the boat upside down, adjust the cart clamps to achieve a double seat (clamp touching bottom of hull and leg toughing scupper lid). Then:
1. measure the gap between bottom of hull and cart crossbar
2. measure the distance between top of cart clamp and top of cart leg
3. take the lesser of the two, add 1/2" for safety, and cut that much off from the cart legs.

In the end, I would have the boat sitting low on the cart as designed, the cart seating on the lid of the scupper AND at the bottom of the hole without touching the crossbar. Since Hobie doesn't recommend using the scupper cart on this model now, I would not recommend it either, especially if the scupper tubes appear to be thin as noted with a flashlight test. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Am I missing something? If a scupper hole does'nt go straight through the deck what is its purpose as it isn't draining anything?