Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used to have a Pro Angler that I transported on the roof of my Nissan Pathfinder using the stock crossbars with two lengths of PVC pipe bolted to them as a cradle. It worked like a charm.

Now I have an Outback, and I would like to transport it the same way, but I am wondering if the bottom of this kayak hangs down too low. The Pro Angler was flat on the bottom, but the outback is not.

Has anyone here had a setup similar to this? How do you transport your Outback on the roof of your vehicle?

I have a Toyota 4runner now, so I am having to build a rooftop carrier over again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Are your PVC lengths going long ways or cross ways to the boat? If you make them long ways they will sit pretty flat in those grooves on the hull. I forget what size PVC I used but I use to have a trailer cradle like that. Get a little chunk of it and mock it up with a board and the PVC.
You can also flip the boat top down if you are careful. Or if you just pad your cross bars with something squishy it will even out pretty well.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

TalonDJ wrote:
Are your PVC lengths going long ways or cross ways to the boat? If you make them long ways they will sit pretty flat in those grooves on the hull. I forget what size PVC I used but I use to have a trailer cradle like that. Get a little chunk of it and mock it up with a board and the PVC.
You can also flip the boat top down if you are careful. Or if you just pad your cross bars with something squishy it will even out pretty well.

Good luck!

The PVC went long ways, opposite of the cross bars.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Upside down on padded bars when I carry on top(camper shell w/Yakima rack), but it's usually in the bed of my Frontier. I'm running into you everywhere all of a sudden.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

To carry both my Outback and my Revo 11, I use E.V.A "pillows" on the crossbars of the roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYcyQ7h ... e=youtu.be

ex Outback 2014
ex Outback 2013

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Milton Quadros wrote:
To carry both my Outback and my Revo 11, I use E.V.A "pillows" on the crossbars of the roof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYcyQ7h ... e=youtu.be

That setup looks like it works well. Are the EVA Pillows something you made? Do you have any issues hauling that Revo with the seat and rudder facing the wind?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Lt.kenson wrote:
Upside down on padded bars when I carry on top(camper shell w/Yakima rack), but it's usually in the bed of my Frontier. I'm running into you everywhere all of a sudden.

I do visit a lot of forums. What other forums do you frequent?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[/quote]

That setup looks like it works well. Are the EVA Pillows something you made? Do you have any issues hauling that Revo with the seat and rudder facing the wind?[/quote]

No problem, even at 80 miles per hour. The chair is secured with the strap.

I participate in whatsApp groups in Brazil and I have a Blog, http://www.milpesca.com/

ex Outback 2014
ex Outback 2013

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Xi Bowhunter wrote:
Lt.kenson wrote:

I do visit a lot of forums. What other forums do you frequent?

kentuckyhunting, gulfshorespierfishing I'm in Madisonville.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I carry my Revo 13 right side up on top of SUV. I use 8 ft long wooden dowels run length ways. they sit on padded crossbars (padding maybe helps them not slip). I notch the dowel where the scupper drain is. I travel 500 miles on interstate. strap seat down. even leave milk crate on full of Plano 3700's. No issues. I have added a trailer bed extension that I use upright to help load and avoid SUV spoiler. For long trips I leave extension up and it makes a 3rd cross bar to secure yak.

For short trips once I get to my destination I use the trailer bed extension as originally intended. I slide yak in bed of SUV (about 6 ft) and have other end of yak rest on extension bar. I secure yak with bungees and bungee tail gate down on top of yak. works great.