Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was always wondering what the #0 vs 1" size meant!

Hope you got everything working.

Unfortunately I have to send my system back for warranty work. I got an E30 error on my 900W battery and then got an E45 error on the motor unit.

I've cobbled up the motor mount system to hold my old MinnKota motor, and the shaft size of the MinnKota is quite a bit smaller than the Torqeedo. I'll probably order up some other smaller conduit clamps and make another system just for the MinnKota.

I'm definitely not looking forward to humping this much heavier combination around this summer. The MinnKota motor itself weighs more than my entire Torqeedo setup ... and that's not even taking into account the Group 27 lead acid battery :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sangorei,

How did it go with the warranty work? I just had a disappointing experience with my own battery getting ruined and not getting helpful support from Torqeedo.

Sadly, the battery isn't nearly as waterproof as you might expect.

I bought the 403 along with the torqueedo brand solar panel with the idea that I'd never have to disconnect anything. This worked great for a few weeks but then my battery stopped working.

1.) I discovered the battery had water inside and wasn't charging properly. I contacted Torqueedo and said it was strange since I hadn't even taken it out on the water in over a week but there had been heavy rains. I also included a picture - https://ibb.co/kuMmsK - showing the setup which I thought was a good way to use the system.

2.) Torqeedo wrote back to say the battery is IP67 rated and if its exposed to water longer then 30 minutes, including rain, then it would be ruined. They sent me a box to return the battery so they could check for a manufacturing defect.

3.) Battery was returned to Torqeedo, no manufacturing defect was discovered so it won't be replaced under the warranty. They did offer me a new one for $400, a $30 discount over what I'd pay for a new one at Marine Defender.

4.) I asked for my broken battery to be returned to me, so an electronic friend of mine could mess around with it, maybe salvage some parts for his projects but Torqeedo had already disposed of my battery.

I'll end up buying a new battery from Marine Defender vs. getting my $30 discount. It was pretty disappointed that they were not more helpful and wouldn't even send me my broken battery back! The new one I'll find a way to protect it, maybe getting a small cooler that I could keep it inside and cut some holes (with rain covers) for the cables.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had to send back a battery and a motor for warranty work.

The motor issue was my fault as I had dropped the engine on launch, didn't realize or think about it and then was I was using the motor, it worked fine at first, but once the water got in through the cracks, I got an E45 ? error and that was the end of the motor. I'm now using two clips to connect my motor to the bungee straps in the back; one is always attached so that I can hopefully pull up my motor in case I capsize; the second one is a closer attachment to the motor shaft that should help provide the PLASTIC motor housing some protection in case it drops off the yak during the launching process.

Fortunately my battery was covered by warranty as it was generating an E30 (I think) error, which I think is the contacts were not making good connections?

I thought IP67 meant that the battery would handle total immersion up to a meter for 30 mins or so. IPx5 is supposed to 'protect against low pressure jets of water in all directions. Limited water ingress permitted'. I would have thought that 'heavy' rain would have been covered. I own marine radios that are IP67 that have handled heavy rains ... it's yet another worry about this system. I'm interested in hearing longer term reports about the Bixpy system.

I noticed from your picture that since you have solar panels that the battery charging port would have been connected to your panels. Maybe that was where the water came in? I might have to rubberband a balloon or something on the battery charging port, which is never connected in my case, although I always try to remember putting the charger port on when I'm out in the water.

I wasn't exactly thrilled about the support, but again, half of the problem was me and also having spend a day to travel to a shipping company that could handle the hazardous (lithium batteries) material. On the other hand, I did get the motor and battery back before the end of summer ... at least it was a fairly quick turn around.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As explained to me the key piece of the IP67 is the 'up to 30 minutes' part. Sitting in 1 inch of water for greater then 30 minutes would then saturate the seal and let water inside. It is definitely not how I understood it previously and what would happen if you were out in the water and caught in an unexpected squall?

If I had known that steady rain would breach the batteries IP67 certification I would have designed a different system to keep the battery dry. That is my rationale for being unhappy with them not replacing it and why I'm trying to spread the word.

Overall I'm very happy with the 403 system and the extra speed/range the motor gives and I purchased a new battery today so I'll get it all up and running again soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't have my battery in front of me, but I would think there are 4 sets of seals; one for each of the 3 plug connectors and another that would be in between the top and bottom of the battery ... and I thought that was quite high from the bottom. Sitting in an inch of water should not come anywhere close to any of those seals. My battery is in the back and with the weight of the battery and cart (strapped quite closely to the rudder), my battery is constantly sitting in an inch of water for my entire trip (anywhere from 2 to 12 hrs (don't ask :) ).

I'm curious which seal failed, although that may be difficult to diagnose; especially since they've disposed of the battery (that's a shame ... I too would have wanted that back)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sangorei wrote:
I don't have my battery in front of me, but I would think there are 4 sets of seals; one for each of the 3 plug connectors and another that would be in between the top and bottom of the battery ... and I thought that was quite high from the bottom. Sitting in an inch of water should not come anywhere close to any of those seals. My battery is in the back and with the weight of the battery and cart (strapped quite closely to the rudder), my battery is constantly sitting in an inch of water for my entire trip (anywhere from 2 to 12 hrs (don't ask :) ).

I'm curious which seal failed, although that may be difficult to diagnose; especially since they've disposed of the battery (that's a shame ... I too would have wanted that back)

Look at the bottom of the battery. I don't know the purpose but there is a hole there. I'm assuming that is where the water got in.

From Torqueedo:
"The battery is IP67 meaning it can exposed up to 3ft of water for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes the fiber membrane will get saturated and allow water to enter the battery. The battery sitting in 1” of water for 30 minutes will get water inside just like a battery in 3ft of water."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

To give an update. Torqueedo contacted me last night to offer a free replacement of the battery.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Seems like a premium-priced product that doesn’t work if it gets too wet on a kayak is a no-go even if it is lighter and quieter. Or maybe not? What am I missing?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To be clear, I've never had either of my Torqeedo batteries fail because of water and I've been on rainy days and with my battery bottom sitting in water for hours at a time.

My impression was that IP67 was supposed to handle the case where the battery was submerged up to a meter for 30 minutes; and that the main issue was the pressure of the 1 meter water was the main issue. Just sitting in an inch of water should be minimal pressure and I would hope that the seal on the bottom (I still haven't found it) would not fail because of that.

I will be taking issue to put the battery in a beer cooler type case to prevent this issue ... side benefits; a more convenient carry strap, a bit extra 'covered' storage for things inside and some place I can attach some attachments for pliers, scissors, etc

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The new Ultralight 403 AC mount fits perfect on the new Outback 2019. This is my first test and I am very pleased.