Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was wondering if we have any PT's on here and/or if anyone here that knows what exact exercises are being done while using the mirage drives?

What exercises, muscle building, lengthening etc am I doing exactly? I want to be able to tell my PT and doc to make sure I am not exacerbating the issues (I am pretty sore afterwards although that is part of rehab). I really believe in these kayaks for rehabilitation because it's the only thing able to get me out there with my complex issues.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

+1. I'm also interested on this. I have to comment so this topic goes to my list of posts. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks nap!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have back issues and a twice reconstructed knee. I can't ride a bicycle for more than an hour, but I can go all day in the outback.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know, right?!
Curious....can do you use a recumbent stationary bike for hours?
For many years with my back the only cardio I can do has been that machine. However, I have an additional issue now where I can no longer can sit too upright for long but with the option to recline with Hobie Island seat (soft one, not the new one) I can manage and if I take breaks with putting my feet up, like a recliner, on the drives it enable's me to work out for a long time.

Pollo de muerte wrote:
I have back issues and a twice reconstructed knee. I can't ride a bicycle for more than an hour, but I can go all day in the outback.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also have a really bad back, can't ride bikes, can't walk very far, (bad back hips and knees) and definately can no longer paddle yak or canoe. I made a commitment in 2010 to peddle my TI averaging 10-15 miles per week as my main exercise program year round. The biggest issue for me is the waves and rocking of the boat so we only typically ever go out in very low winds and no waves, which fortunately 80% of the time around here. I like the older hobie seats because they support my lower back, like a bucket seat. Not sure I could do the newer seats, (no side to side support). For me it worked out well, I got sufficient exercise. However my back has got worse, and my doc finally cut me off. I suspect the peddling itself wasn't the issue, launch, retrieval, and prepping the boat I think did me in. Had to sell the boat, am resting a while, if my back gets better in six months I might get another one, fingers crossed.
I can peddle up to around ten hrs with a few breaks, but I peddle lightly 40-45 cpm which is around a walking pace. My peddling isn't my primary propulsion, our boat was setup for tri-power propulsion.
Being handicapped pretty much sucks.
FE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a spare old drive and was wondering if anyone has ever set one of these up as a the basis of stationary exercise machine, to keep in practice when weather or time is not suitable to get on the water.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually that's not a bad idea, in the winter when the water is cold I dont like to go out if the water is below 80. I also don't go out when it's windy and rough.
However putting the boat into our pool is easy, and I shouldn't need to get wet or cold. Just point the boat to the wall and peddle away.
We have had the kayaks in the pool many times practicing capsize recovery and stuff, never dawned on me to try to peddle it in there, nothin to buy, oops I sold my boat, dang
FE

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have a slight lower back pain so i think i need to put a seat cushion. The sail and outboard will be my primary propulsion. The pedal will just be my backup and when i need to move real slow.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

FE: Yes, being handicapped sucks, no silver lining about it. That is a real shame about your back getting worse, I'm sorry to hear that and that you sold your TI - what a bummer! We learned fast how not worth car topping was. I hope you can find something else to get you better enough to be able to buy another TI.
Yes, bucket style seat is a good description. That's what's nice about the original seats, if you have issues more to one side you can even loosen or tighten one side of the seat to customize it to your needs. Being able to use the drives as a foot stool also really helps me. I'm so glad I didn't get talked into a new one, of course, like the Hobie dealer tried.

Waverider: that would totally work. We talked about this ourselves. Yes, either via pool or you find a deep and wide enough bucket to mount it on, pull up a sear and go.

Nap: Do you have your own Island yet? I thought I was going to need a cushion but so far I haven't. I have yet to do anything outings over 4 hours though. There are lots of excellent inflatable's out there.

Overall, it's pretty low impact exercise and that's why I believe so many banged up kayakers and sailors find the Islands. I am a novice kayaker but a fairly experienced sailor and I can verify that sailing can really tear up your body, especially your back. Finding something that can take you, and whatever gear you need, places while enabling you a much needed workout pretty much makes it an ideal lifestyle choice in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Funny you should ask this question cause this is actually what brought me to the Hobie world. 4 years ago I was involved in a work accident where I fell through a ceiling and shattered both my legs and ankles. One of the devices that they had me using in physical therapy to help strengthen my legs as I learned how to walk again mimics the movement of the mirage drive to a Tee. Since I have been released from a wheel chair and entered into the world of tournament bass fishing it has been love at first cast . I couldn’t be happier and it has continued to help improve my legs beyond anything the drs or surgeons imagined. I hope this helped answer your question.