Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If I use the rudder control and turn the rudder fully to the left or right, does it stay in that position if I remove my hand from it or does it return to center by itself?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

In general, the answer is "no".

Without your hand on the rudder control, the rudder will react to the water pressure.

In my experience, some rudders are stickier than others. The original rudders were completely free moving to the point that when sailing (i.e., right hand occupied by the main sheet), I needed to time when I could take my hand off the rudder control to imbibe in an adult beverage.

The twist and stow rudders seem to have more friction in the system and hold a line a little better if I remove my hand from the controls momentarily. Even so, the rudder is not locked in place and you need to raise it when paddling.

I have not been on the water in a PA or Compass, so I don't know where those rudders fall on the stickiness spectrum.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:56 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

benqueso wrote:
If I use the rudder control and turn the rudder fully to the left or right, does it stay in that position if I remove my hand from it or does it return to center by itself?
The boat will not straighten out, neither will the rudder.

Hobies are directionally unstable (going forward) in order to have more responsive steering. In other words, when a turn is started, the boat will continue turning until it is straightened out. Each boat is a little different though.

If the rudder control is properly set to have taut lines in the straight position, it will not wiggle or wander. When fully deflected, the lines slack slightly and the control handle will ease up somewhat, but not that much. In any event, you will continue the turn until the rudder is repositioned. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is also another variable in tensioning the rudder lines....."ambient air temperature".

If you tension the lines on a cool day and it then warms up, the lines become tighter as the hull expands and the converse is true if you set the line tension while its a hotter day.

Just a small variable, but worth noting with plastic boats and that is why I retrofitted a rudder BOA on my 2013 PA-14 :wink: