Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am going to put two lengths of PVC pipe on the roof rack of my SUV as a cradle to transport it.

I bought 2" PVC, but I have seen a lot of posts where people are using 3". Do I need to use 3"?

Also, what would the spacing need to be, in between the PVC pipes, to fit into the channels under the Outback?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just built a rolling storage rack for my new outback and used 1 1/2" PVC. It fits perfectly and allows enough flex to "mold" itself to the hull. This way their is support under 6 feet of hull rather than just a few contact points by more rigid pipe. Not sure if this would work on a roof rack though. It would have to be elevated somehow as the bottom of the hull would probably hit the roof before it rested in the grooves on the PVC pipe.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey XI, I used 3" on my rolling cart, my opinion is that it might be a bit large for the SUV rack. When I built the cart, I laid the Outback on the pipes and marked them where they "fit" into the channels. The center to center measurement for the rear is approx. 12", the front is approx. 14". The channels aren't straight and parallel, so no perfect measurement, just place them where kayak rests the best.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We highly recommend against PVC runners. Flip the kayak over on x bars - that's the best. Runners put pressure on the scuppers and distort your boat over time. And can lead to hull failure in extreme instances. (more so on heavier models like Pro anglers or Islands)

The owner's manuals give do's and don'ts for transport and storage - and PVC is against what Hobie feels is right.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Lt.kenson wrote:
Hey XI, I used 3" on my rolling cart, my opinion is that it might be a bit large for the SUV rack. When I built the cart, I laid the Outback on the pipes and marked them where they "fit" into the channels. The center to center measurement for the rear is approx. 12", the front is approx. 14". The channels aren't straight and parallel, so no perfect measurement, just place them where kayak rests the best.

I was wondering if the 2" would be too small to keep the belly of the kayak from touching the cross bars? I've got both, so I guess I'll just have to test it out.