Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

First I want to say this is purely hypothetical, I'm just in the very back of my mind considering getting an oasis for my two boys.

That being said, I was looking at the local dealers site and they appear to still have a 2016 model, as well as 2017 and 2018. If I'm not mistaken only the 17 and 18's have the 180 drive? Does anyone know if this is true?

Also, if the above is correct, at what price discount would you get the 2016 without the 180 drive? I mean if it were $200 off MSRP, or $500 etc. I haven't contacted the dealer yet but I'd think you'd get some sort of discount - I believe online it's still listed at $3949 which wouldn't seem right to me for a 2016.

I know this is totally hypothetical and no one can guess what discount might be offered - I'm more trying to understand how valuable the 180 upgrade is.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:28 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

You have to ask, to what purpose is the Oasis to be used? If for general kayaking, cruising, etc, there is little reason to go backwards and the MD-180 would get little use. If the boat is to be used for fishing, the 180 can be a great tool. Remember, standard Drives can be removed and installed backwards in about 30 seconds. Things they might get better use of are Turbofins, standard cart, large rudder, maybe a sail kit. Since you're looking for a bargain, you might weigh the cost of these items against the reversibility of the 180.

The price discount on older stock depends entirely on the dealer motivation. The appropriate difference in value depends on the boat's intended use.

BTW, the Oasis is a great boat -- probably the most versatile in the fleet. Good (hypothetical) choice! 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

All great points Roadrunner. Yeah, our family isn't really big on fishing, though the boys (9 and 14) might wish to pick it up if they had a boat. I LOVE your ideas though about using any "saved" money for other accessories, just as you mentioned turbo fins, large rudder and a sail kit for sure!
Yeah, we've rented an Oasis two or three times now and loved it each time. At first the boys were wanting their "own" boat but I think they enjoy having a more shared experience. After the last time I asked them, would they rather each have their own "paddle only" yak or share an Oasis and hands down both voted for Oasis, (they don't even know about turbo fins or that a sail kit is available).
Unfortunately my wife's not into kayaks and canoes much, and I also have a 6 yr old daughter. My thinking was maybe get an Oasis for the boys and then my 6 yr old could just join me either in a solo canoe, (something like an Old Town Next), or perhaps a bit more expensive but very nice Eddyline Carribean 14. Then, if the kids are in school and my wife did wish to go we could also use the Hobie, or if I am just going out by myself I would have the solo boat as well.
Hmmm sounds like a plan, an expensive plan at that, heck I don't even have a trailer at this point or an adequate car rack... sigh.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry, I forgot to ask, and it's not really that big of a deal but ... were the seats the same in the 2016, I believe they were upgraded at some point not too long ago, I forget when that was though.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got a TI and an Oasis. I've never felt like I needed the 180 drives. The 180 was invented to combat the Native Propel fishing kayak, who made a reversing a huge deal in their advertising. For fishing, I can see where being able to reverse would be useful. But if all you're doing is kayaking from place to place I wouldn't bother with the expense and complications of the 180 drives.

The Advantage seats, on the other hand are a big deal. My TI has them and my Oasis doesn't. There is a huge difference in comfort between the two. I wouldn't buy any boat that I intended to spend a lot time in unless it had the updated seat.

Comfort aside, the Oasis still gets the most use of all my boats. It's light enough that my wife and I can cartop it easily and it's perfect for a three hour daytrip to our local lake. It's also the boat we carry when we drag our camper around the country. As long as you've got a partner, the Oasis is a pretty much perfect boat.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:54 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The Oasis does great as a solo as well from the front cockpit...

or sailing from the back...

in both cases, ballast in the opposite end keeps the boat appropriately level.

The kids should be really able to rip with Turbofins:

It will put muscles in their legs! :D Naturally, it can be paddled as well. Of course, this is all theoretically speaking.

BTW, I believe the Vantage seat begins with the 2015 models.

You can see why I think this is the most versatile Hobie -- it does it all with one OR two people, and has excellent stability. The only down side -- for some, it is a heavy boat, but only out of the water! 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the feedback all :)
As I mentioned, we've rented this boat a few times recently and really had fun, and yes, I know it can really move - a couple of times the boys put everything into it and they were cruising!!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have an Outfitter and an Outback. The Outfitter has the Vantage seats and my wife loves it for the comfort. The Outback has the old wetbutt seat and I love it for the lower center of gravity when sailing.

In general, the Vantage seat is a major improvement, but I'll hold on to my Outback for as long as I can because sailing is my favorite kayak activity

Since I rarely fish anymore, I don't miss the 180 drive at all.