Post subject: Re: Hull problems
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

kross57 wrote:
jeffreydc wrote:
mmiller wrote:
Quote:
Seems any posts that aren't positive disappear

Definitely not the case. We are very open to any input. I have shut down only a couple threads over the years.

That thread degenerated into bitterness and name calling. Not going to stand for that behavior in our forums. People don't want to read that stuff.

Just keep it to the facts.

In keeping with the facts you deleted my post for calling this guy out for what he is doing. In the OTHER post he started where he bashed Hobie and the intelligence of other board members you deleted that also. But in this day of censorship and snowflakes I guess thats the new norm.

This particular thread is about hull cracking and warranty handling. If you have something to add on the topic, please do. If you don't, let's at least keep it civil.

Saying you have a problem with a kayak isn't bashing. It is factual.

Maybe someone can open a forum just for arguments and name calling. But this isn't it.

Oh you mean in like the last Post you started that the mods deleted where you called Fusioneng ignorant? Yes it would be good if you would stop name calling people who dont agree with you.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

jeffreydc wrote:

Oh you mean in like the last Post you started that the mods deleted where you called Fusioneng ignorant? Yes it would be good if you would stop name calling people who dont agree with you.

Is this just the 5 minute one? lol

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just received this message from the local dealer:

"I received a warranty response from Hobie.

Your Revo 11 is just over 3 years old- they can offer a replacement 2014 hull. They are confirming that they have this hull in inventory; I should get an answer on Monday.

The cost would be: $190 +shipping ($87.50.)

The hull would be added to our next scheduled delivery.

I will contact you when I receive more information."

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dealers suck.

Last week, my closest dealer, Ramsey Outdoor, told me my replacement kayak would be delivered to them between 5/21 and 5/24. Today its as if the conversation never happened. They don't know when my kayak will arrive. They deny ever telling me it was supposed to be here this week. According to Hobie it won't even ship until June 6th. What a bunch of crap.

Lesson learned. Don't rely on a a Hobie kayak, as your ONLY kayak.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

Truck scheduling if difficult to say the least. We could have given them a preliminary estimate. Inventory for the load might not have been available or another dealers order on the truck was delayed. The truckers also are hard to schedule over holiday periods... they take breaks too... they are independants. Sorry for the delay... whatever the reason.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Truck scheduling if difficult to say the least. We could have given them a preliminary estimate. Inventory for the load might not have been available or another dealers order on the truck was delayed. The truckers also are hard to schedule over holiday periods... they take breaks too... they are independants. Sorry for the delay... whatever the reason.

I think the dealer just made a mistake in giving me the wrong date. It had nothing to do with Hobie.

My point about having a Hobie as your only kayak is, they seem to take a dive more than any other kayak. At least in my experience. And i have owned and used 12 different kayaks from 7 makers. Personally, I'd rather cut off my arm than be without my fishing kayak for a month in the spring. With Hobies, you gotta have a Plan B.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not suggesting you have not had a bad experience and I completely understand why you have a bad taste in your mouth re: Hobie, but I really don't think this is typical.

I've owned 6 mirage kayaks since 2004 and never experienced a hull failure or defect beyond normal wear and tear. The original Outback developed the well documented slow leak in the pedal drive area, but it never progressed beyond a half gallon of water over three hours. My hulls get heavy use in salty, oyster bed infested conditions and are stored outside.

I've also been lurking on this forum for a long time (only recently joined) and once you account for the fact that some folks only come here when there's a problem, it's hard to see a widespread pattern of hull failures.

Again, not to discount your experience; sounds like you got a lemon and hopefully it will get fixed soon.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Pollo de muerte wrote:
I'm not suggesting you have not had a bad experience and I completely understand why you have a bad taste in your mouth re: Hobie, but I really don't think this is typical.

I've owned 6 mirage kayaks since 2004 and never experienced a hull failure or defect beyond normal wear and tear. The original Outback developed the well documented slow leak in the pedal drive area, but it never progressed beyond a half gallon of water over three hours. My hulls get heavy use in salty, oyster bed infested conditions and are stored outside.

I've also been lurking on this forum for a long time (only recently joined) and once you account for the fact that some folks only come here when there's a problem, it's hard to see a widespread pattern of hull failures.

Again, not to discount your experience; sounds like you got a lemon and hopefully it will get fixed soon.

I'm sure some folks get lucky just as some are unlucky. I have one friend who had 5 cracked hulls in as many years. From what I am seeing, the failure rate is less than it used to be. But if you use your boat a lot, as I do, it is not uncommon to see a crack in 2-4 years. The big issue for me is that this might mean being without your kayak for 4-6 weeks. Just a cautionary note - plan for it.

And no offense, but that "slow leak" was a hull failure. You are definitely in the club.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The slow leak was a design defect and not a result of poor build quality (not sure how much that matters to the discussion). The early mirage drive kayaks would eventually develop stress cracks in the pedal drive area. I read that if you upgraded the fins, it would get worse faster. I always used the original Outback mirage drive on that first yak which had slightly larger fins than some other V1 drives, but definitely less surface area than the V2 Turbo fins which I use now.

I used that '04 Outback until this past December. The slow leak wouldn't force me to reach for the bilge pump during my normal trip, so I didn't feel it was a huge problem, but you are correct that it was definitely a hull failure.

I think Hobie addressed the design issue several years ago.

Of my 6 Hobie kayaks, I've replaced lots of shock cord (wear and tear item), one toggle handle (replaced the rope) and one rudder (operator error). Every other repair was to one of the mirage drives (a couple of bent masts, and an overhaul due to age). My experience w/r/t quality and durability has been pretty good.

I wonder if fishing trips put more stress on the yak than a typical cruise. More gear = more weight, more reliance on the pedal drive (i.e., not sailing), longer days. That's not imply that you are misusing or abusing the boat, but it seems that serious fishermen see more issues than those of us out there for just for fun and exercise.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Pollo de muerte wrote:
The slow leak was a design defect and not a result of poor build quality (not sure how much that matters to the discussion). The early mirage drive kayaks would eventually develop stress cracks in the pedal drive area. I read that if you upgraded the fins, it would get worse faster. I always used the original Outback mirage drive on that first yak which had slightly larger fins than some other V1 drives, but definitely less surface area than the V2 Turbo fins which I use now.

I used that '04 Outback until this past December. The slow leak wouldn't force me to reach for the bilge pump during my normal trip, so I didn't feel it was a huge problem, but you are correct that it was definitely a hull failure.

I think Hobie addressed the design issue several years ago.

Of my 6 Hobie kayaks, I've replaced lots of shock cord (wear and tear item), one toggle handle (replaced the rope) and one rudder (operator error). Every other repair was to one of the mirage drives (a couple of bent masts, and an overhaul due to age). My experience w/r/t quality and durability has been pretty good.

I wonder if fishing trips put more stress on the yak than a typical cruise. More gear = more weight, more reliance on the pedal drive (i.e., not sailing), longer days. That's not imply that you are misusing or abusing the boat, but it seems that serious fishermen see more issues than those of us out there for just for fun and exercise.

I also thought they had corrected the stress crack problem, but apparently not.

It might be the "longer days" for fishing use. Obviously, that part of the hull flexes in use. The more times it flexes, the sooner it is likely to fail. Clearly it is still a weak spot.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My 2011 had cracks, the replacement hull (2014) also cracked. Both were olive color, don't know if that had anything to do with it, but my red 2012 has had no issues. No replacement for 2014, but dealership did a plastic weld, which most on these forums don't recommend under water line. Time will tell, but 2 out of 3 with failures doesn't boost my confidence.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jcnoslrac wrote:
My 2011 had cracks, the replacement hull (2014) also cracked. Both were olive color, don't know if that had anything to do with it, but my red 2012 has had no issues. No replacement for 2014, but dealership did a plastic weld, which most on these forums don't recommend under water line. Time will tell, but 2 out of 3 with failures doesn't boost my confidence.

I wish you luck with the repair.

The craziest thing is that there is no standard policy. They replace one guy's hull. Another fellow get's nothing. The price varies hull to hull. What's with that? And you can wait weeks, even months, for the new one. There should be one written policy that covers all defective hulls.

Also, every region should have replacement hulls in the area ready to go. That would cut the replacement time to days. And the cost would be minimal.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
There should be one written policy that covers all defective hulls.

There is one policy. 2 years limited warranty.

Beyond that 2 year it is all in good faith. Not every damaged kayak is a defective kayak. Ages of the kayak and models vary greatly we have different costs due to both. If it were car tires... we could measure tread depth to account for how much use you have gotten from it then cost from there. We have to use age.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:
Quote:
There should be one written policy that covers all defective hulls.

There is one policy. 2 years limited warranty.

Beyond that 2 year it is all in good faith. Not every damaged kayak is a defective kayak. Ages of the kayak and models vary greatly we have different costs due to both. If it were car tires... we could measure tread depth to account for how much use you have gotten from it then cost from there. We have to use age.

Mine is the same hull crack that has been plaguing Hobies for years. I have to note that one reason for these hull failures happening "out of warranty" is that Hobie has the worst warranty in the industry. Ocean Kayak? Lifetime. Pelican? Lifetime. Wilderness Systems? Lifetime. Perception? Lifetime. Cobra Kayaks? Ten years. Hobie? 2 years??? I truly believe if they had any confidence in their hulls, this warranty would be way better. So, I'm not very impressed by the "good faith". For handling these hull cracks, there should be a standard policy. Even the worst warrantys for other kayak companies are 3 years. And those boats are not as prone to hull cracks.

As far as looking at actual use, how long should I expect my Hobie to last? That would be good to know so I can sell the next one before it detonates. I'm used to other kayaks that are way more durable.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

kross57 wrote:
wrote:
Maybe someone can open a forum just for arguments and name calling. But this isn't it.

Seems that is what you are doing here though. We are really trying to help you and the repeated bashing is not fair.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)