Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks FE! Very comprehensive reply. I agree with you that the drive-well seems to be something of an Achilles heel at least on the 2010 and earlier? I think the area does get a tremendous amount of stress, by *some* users. One of the huge advantages of the Mirage system is I'm able to use the boat in conditions that quite frankly aren't fun in even an inshore fishing boat, because I can sit close to the water, with a low wind profile, and can hug the lee of the marsh-line. So I'm out fighting rip tides and 15-20kt winds on occasion -- I'm 6'1" and with Turbo fins, I have no doubt I'm testing the design specs, because I'll use the kayak for 6+ hours sometimes.

I'd love to see a picture or understand the 'bondo' approach more clearly.

In any event, the later models I've owned haven't had a problem (knock on wood): a replacement Outback from a 2006(?) model that had the drive well actually split on the vertical axis, a Revo 11 (since sold) and 2017 Tandem Adventure. My fishing buddy also has 4 Hobie Mirage kayaks, all 2011 or later, and hasn't had issues with leaks.

So we'll see: below is a picture of the exterior of my repair. As I said it's ugly - I just hope it's functional. I'll find out this weekend, and over the coming year.

Quite honestly, my underlying frustration with all of this is that the end-user shouldn't have to be the one taping newspaper in his hull, or rigging up 'bubble-tests.' I think there's a high-degree of "DIY" mentality intrinsic to kayak owners, and maybe it works against us. But after taking this boat back TWICE to the dealer, and being told each time, after a number of weeks in the shop, "nope, can't find anything," is really annoying. Granted, it manifests itself only under pedaling, but that should be an obvious debug step for 'experts' who represent this line of kayaks. I mean if someone is loading up a 16' kayak and driving 3 hours one-way to get it looked at....you think they're imagining they have a leak??

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it was me, I would still clean the entire area around the front of the inside around the mirage drive, spray a thin coat of krylon clear coat for plastics over the entire area, then just glob in a coating of clear ge silicone over the entire area.
This completely seals the inside of the boat from any water intrusion, if your crack comes back, it won’t leak water.
The krylon sticks to the hull very well, and the ge silicone sticks to the paint very well, ( ge silicone, or anything else for that matter doesn’t stick well to polyethylene). Think of the repair method as being the same as an inner tube repair kit.
FE