Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm about to "pull the trigger" on a Revo 13. I plan on cruising and using the kayak for exercise either paddling and peddling. So my first question for those of you that cruise, what gear do you pack into your kayak? I'm thinking a basic signal kit, portable vhf radio, portable GPS and maybe a Kayack anchor and a few lines. What are your thoughts? Thanks, Adam

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You've got the most critical things, IMO: VHF and day/night signalling kit.

To that I'd add a waterproof chart of your area, even if you "know it like the back of your hand". Put a compass in the pocket of your PFD, too. I'd also add a hypothermia kit. You should carry an audible signal as well, so put a really loud whistle on your PFD and an air horn in the boat. You should also carry a waterproof flashlight and/or head lamp in case you get caught out after dark.

I carry a PLB and would not say anything to dissuade anyone from carrying one themselves. Cheap insurance, IMO.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good point on the waterproof chart and compass. That's a great back up if the GPS craps out and the fog rolls in!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I carry a paddle float and rescue steps.

I'm out in the gulf for my typical cruise of about 11 miles. I'm also usually sailing, so uprighting a turtle situation is a little more difficult than without a sail.

I've never gone over, but I've come to the aid of someone who has and the rescue steps worked like a charm for a 74 year old female kayaker with the sail unfurled. She ended up not needing the paddle float as I stabilized the kayak while she climbed back in, but I think it would be handy in a solo situation. You can make your own rescue steps. I found a set on Amazon that was a little overpriced, but not ridiculous.

I always have my cell phone in a waterproof lanyard. In addition to charts and a logging app, you can get an SOS app that will send or morse-flash emergency signals.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My normal Oasis kit includes everything mentioned thus far except the paddle float, plus the following:

small first aid kit
assorted stainless nuts, bolts, washers
an extra rudder pin (in addition to the one on the rear hatch lid)
duct tape
a couple extra gear leashes
two adjustable straps with snapbuckles
multi-tool
paddlers knife (on my life jacket)
an extra clean dry shirt in a baggie
parachute anchor (in addition to folding anchor)
paddle T handle
assortment of zip-lok baggies
sponge
manual bilge pump
spare Mirage fin and mast
sun block
bug repellant

Sheeze. Didn’t realize how much stuff we actually have in the kayak until i started listing it all out. Most of it fits in 2 dry bags.

My wife and I often do 20-30 mile trips in open ocean, bays, or a combination so we also take a medium sized soft cooler for drinks on the back cargo area and a small soft cooler for food and snacks in the front hatch. Used to carry a spare Mirage drive but no longer do as have a rudder mounted Evolve, sail kit (with sidekicks), and paddles.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let someone know where you are going and when you will be back. Keep the radio on your PFD, as well as your PLB. Keep the radio on and tuned into local marine and weather stations.

If you are going to paddle take the drive plug and find a way of storing the drive. trying to paddle with drive in place is no fun. The revo 13 is not the best tracking kayak when paddled

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stakeout pole - gets more use than my anchor but i still carry both.

Rope- I always need rope (most of the time to put a leash on things like coolers, kids, kids hats...)

BT speaker for tunes w/Phone set to audible alerts for small craft advisory

Backup usb battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk