Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am looking for help with a modification on an old outback steering handle.

I have the 12 foot Outback. I think it was made in 2012 but that could be off by a year or two either way. I also have an 11 foot Revolution, bought at the same time. Lately both of the steering handles got pretty sticky. The local shop improved it a lot just with a thorough cleaning but I'd still like to add a steering knob to the Outback to make it easier. I have arthritis in my left thumb CMC joint which is basically where all the force comes from to move the steering handle, particularly from right to left.

I added a steering knob myself to the Revolution without any trouble. If I remember correctly, I just bought the knob and it let me attach it down through the steering handle with a bolt at the bottom to hold it in place.

The steering handle on the old Outback seems to have a different design from the old Revolution. There was not a hole for attaching the knob's metal screw down through the handle, and not enough room below the handle to put a bolt there even if you could drill a new hole in the handle. It also was not obvious to me how to remove or replace the steering handle entirely, perhaps with a new one that would fit a knob. Is there a video on this or does anyone know if the repair is possible or how to do it?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:51 pm 
Site Admin

Correct. The knob will not fit the older handle. The handles changed in the 2011 model year.

The new handle requires a new crank arm and some other parts. Not a simple job to change out.

There should be very little load on the steering handles, so be sure the rudder is locked down and the steering lines not too tight.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)