Return to Hobie.com

Hobie Forums

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm landlocked for a few months, so have been following some interesting threads by big boat marine architects that might have relevance to our boats here. For instance the reverse, wave-piercing bows that are on the new AI, TI, and Getaway (as well as a sailboat of mine). There is a great, clear article about the tradeoffs of reverse and other types of bows in Sailing magazine at https://www.sailmagazine.com/multihulls ... multihulls .

Reverse hulls have their place but for some it may be a fashion statement needing more avoidance of pitchpoling. If you think a quick uptake of a new feature by the fleet is proof of usefulness, view this funny diatribe against widespread misuse of the bulbous bow on big ships. Apparently a great proportion of them are useless or harmful, but give the buyer a feeling of innovation (they only work at one exact speed where the bulb is one half wavelength ahead of boat wave):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5usbDb9o1c

Also there is an interesting tippiness concept called angle of loll. Less alarming in a kayak than a ship, but we have had threads here on why a kayak listed to one side. The discussion focuses on weight distribution or even hull asymmetry (I once had a bent hull fiberglass rowing scull). But the video here warns to notice if you have inherent instability to either side within a range - maybe due to water in the bilge. It may be a flip-flop condition rather than asymmetry (which I think is acceptable in a kayak, within bounds):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntqJaOfSQAw

Last edited by daft on Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice.

At the moment I am laughing out loud at the angle of loll of the Ship of State...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks. Some browsers fail to recognize the way HobieForum sets up my utube video inserts, so I just edited in standalone alt links for that. That naval architect is a lot of fun to listen to, vs many dry scholarly types.