Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been looking for a Hobie mirage drive tandem for a while and have come across a 15 to 17 year old tandem that is in very good condition everything works, no cracks of dents only a few minor scratches from use. the lowest I have been able to get the price is $1,000.00 for everything incl; 2 drives, 2 seats & 2 paddles. I am wondering if this price is reasonable and whether it would be worth updating the drives to glides and replacing fins? Should I be concerned about integrity of drive wells with the upgrade they are now perfect w/no damage. Also would like to add some accessory track and possibly cut some flush mount rod holders in behind outboard edges of the seats. I have heard of people adding hatches behind front seat on sloped area but would feel better about doing anything if I could see where anyone else had made similar modifications to older (2001 to 2006) Oasis type hulls.

Thanks to any responses or ideas. Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No way. Those pre-2009 Hobies are prone to well cracks. Especially if you upgrade to a more powerful pedal, like the turbos. I wouldn't touch them for any price if a serious kayaker/fishing. For fun around a cabin and kids, $600 max. Not worth modifying, other than preventive measures to the well area.

Last edited by CR Yaker on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hard pass for me unless it was like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

That sounds like a pretty good price to me. I recently sold a 2006 Revolution for $1000 in good condition. Those 2001 to 2003 Drives are very strong, and the first generation Mirage Tandem (later named Oasis) is a great first boat! If anything happens to the boat, the Drives alone would bring $700 to $800 in good condition.

True, the 2009 and newer boats are stronger and have a few more features, but if the boat is solid, it sounds like a lot of bang for the buck!

You can upgrade those original drives to ST or Turbofins. Turbos will put a strain on the boat if you run them hard, but the STs would be less likely to cause any problems (and do not require you to purchase new masts (rods). Then again, the original fins work fine, just not as efficient as the STs.

We had a 2001 model for several years and had no problems with it -- it was a fun boat! The stability is very good, it cruises along very nicely and you can solo with counterweights in the bow, making it quite versatile. As I recall, it didn't have a sailing capability that early, if that matters. You can double check with the seller. 8)

PS: The Oasis (now in its 4th generation) is the oldest continuing Mirage Drive kayak. It was obviously a great design from the outset! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

2 standard Hobie Mirage Drive V1's won't fetch $700 on the second hand market. Standard V2's are going for about $300 each in great condition. V1's at max, $250, more like $200, fact is they don't often come up for sale, V1's. Thus my max $600 number for the vintage Oasis.
I find it crazy what some people are asking in price on these vintage Hobies. Worse, unsuspecting folks pay it, to find they have no recourse when things go wrong. I've yet to find a deal worth it from a private party. Go with an authorized dealer, even used, better new or demo older model, full warranty.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:30 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

CR Yaker wrote:
2 standard Hobie Mirage Drive V1's won't fetch $700 on the second hand market. Standard V2's are going for about $300 each in great condition. V1's at max, $250, more like $200, fact is they don't often come up for sale, V1's. Thus my max $600 number for the vintage Oasis.
Sounds like there are lots of bargains there in Costa Rica. Not so much in many other areas. Hobies hold their value pretty well here in SoCal -- the least expensive on Craigs list here is currently $1300. I sold our last "vintage" Oasis for $1800 (excellent condition) a few years ago. Two original Drives sold here for $375 each (in excellent condition) very easily. As you may know, the original drives have billet cranks, SS sprockets and are considered by many to be pretty bullet proof, superior to the V-1s and on par with the V-2s.

Mike has been looking for awhile and should know what his local market is, but if he is in CONUS, I doubt that he will find much of anything (especially in a tandem) for less than $1000 complete in sound condition. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry Mike, RR knows Hobies. Go with his advice. 8)