Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New to the Forum, New to Fishing Kayaks and super BONUS.... new to retirement!
Hi to all....been doing some research so I can make a better decision on a local Hobie that's for sale.
Its a 2006 Mirage "Hank Parker" Outback that come's with: a seat, entry level paddle, anchor trolley and a rudder system that pivots up and down.
Price is $375. I did the 10 minute look over and asked a few questions (does it leak?) It's not mint nor is it beat..the owner said it doesn't leak. 1st question, With no pedal power are these kayaks "NOT FUN" paddling? 2nd question, is the price OK? 3rd Question: How much to install a Mirage Drive?

If I get some favorable feedback, I'll go back I can do a through inspection for hull cracks. Thanks to all who comment!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:49 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

bigbore501 wrote:
1st question, With no pedal power are these kayaks "NOT FUN" paddling? 2nd question, is the price OK? 3rd Question: How much to install a Mirage Drive?
Welcome to the forum and retirement! Most Hobie kayaks (including the Outback) are not known for their paddling excellence. This is primarily because they don't have skegs (necessary for good tracking) so they can turn quicker. They are not designed for paddling and are different from the Hobie's paddling line.

The Drive is the heart of the boat, so if someone is selling the boat only, I would be suspicious, regardless of that reason you're given. There could be a hidden leak or a patched crack (that would open up again if a Drive were to be used. The cam columns can be cracked, meaning the boat night not leak, but it can no longer utilize a Drive. Unfortunately there are some unscrupulous people who try to resell their old boat that has been "totaled" and replaced by Hobie , but not destroyed. I would stay away from this deal and spend a little more for a complete boat, or buy a kayak that at least paddles well!

A Mirage Drive typically costs $300 to $400 used in fair to good condition. For someone who is new to Hobies, your 2009 and newer Mirage boats and Drives are more durable and reliable. Significant changes were made in the Drives and Drive attachment method that year. Always verify the year model by looking at the last 2 digits on the serial# (stern area side or lower). boats are sometimes older than advertised! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As per Roadrunners comments i would not be investing in a drive for such an old boat. The hull could crack after you have gone and spent the $$. Outbacks are a pig to paddle. The only mirage kayak that I would consider as a paddle kayak is the adventure, even they take some skills to control with a paddle only.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

x3 on Outbacks being horrible to paddle.

I love those fat tubs, but paddling is for short exploration of shallow water only or getting over a sand bar.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks to all for the input......I left a small deposit with the seller, hopefully he understands and returns my $.
paddle safe....I mean peddle safe MG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Pedal :mrgreen: