Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will buy a revolution 16 or 13 next summer with: sail,ama kit, sail rudder, turbo fins, furl system. I need some advice from people who own or try both the revolution 13 and 16. I will mainly use the kayak for photography and do some long distance run. I live in quebec and unfortunately they don't have any revo 16 for demo. I tried a ouback and love the mirage drive but I know The revolution will be much more fun! I love speed! :)

From my research so far here's the pro and con of each:

Revolution 13: Turn easier, easier to store and carry
Revolution 16: Handles wave the best, fastest hoby kayak, tracks really well

1-What is the difference in speed between the revo 13 and 16 with turbo fins? Cruising speed and top speed? I can't find this information anywhere :(
2-Does the revolution 16 handles ocean and waves much better then the 13?
3-Does the 16 has much more storage then the 13?

Feel free to add any other comments that are not related to my question! I want to gather as much information as possible before I make my purchase!!

If you like wildlife, you can check it my flickr account, photography is a hobby I love! Can't wait to combine photography and kayaking,it will be a blast!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rick2907/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:24 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

rick2906 wrote:
I will buy a revolution 16 or 13 next summer with: sail,ama kit, sail rudder, turbo fins, furl system. I need some advice from people who own or try both the revolution 13 and 16. I will mainly use the kayak for photography and do some long distance run. I tried a ouback and love the mirage drive but I know The revolution will be much more fun! I love speed! :)

1-What is the difference in speed between the revo 13 and 16 with turbo fins? Cruising speed and top speed? I can't find this information anywhere :(
2-Does the revolution 16 handles ocean and waves much better then the 13?
3-Does the 16 has much more storage then the 13?

Feel free to add any other comments that are not related to my question! I want to gather as much information as possible before I make my purchase!!
Hi Rick and welcome to the forum. You can find a load of info by looking in the search feature under "Adventure" and Revolution (former names of the Revo 16 and Revo 13). Here is an example (the deck plan and seating details have changed over the years, but basic hull performance is unchanged):
https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 568#p31568

A few additional comments:
1. Cruise and top speed depends on the user to a large extent. Cruise speed is important, but top speed isn't because it take you very far (lasts about 30 seconds max). For me, the 16 cruises about .3 MPH faster than the 13, more in wind and chop. If you are strong, you can push it easier then the 13 beyond that. There is roughly a 1 MPH +/- difference in sprint speeds.

2. You have some fantastic pics, many of which appear to be on inland waterways. If you plan to use your kayaking that capacity, you can access more densely remote areas with a shorter kayak, like a Revo 11 (quick, maneuverable, quiet) that can worm its way in where the longer kayaks can't. Downsides are it's a little slower and not as good of sailer. On balance, sailing with the Sidekick negates any tenderness from the boat and it has a sweet cruising speed of about 4.0 - 4.3 MPH (fast for its size)
Pictured is a Sport, but the Revo 11 is very similar in terms of access. The Sport falls short of your other needs.

3. The Revo 13 has better storage access than the Revo 16. You can scoot forward and access the front hatch easily on the water.

4. The Revo 16 is a wetter ride than the 13 in abeam chop because it sits lower. On the other hand, it is the absolute best in nasty weather -- much faster, less pounding, and its narrower beam lets you control your beam swells best. All the Revos are seaworthy though IMO.

5. If you get the 16, you'll want the daggerboard for sailing! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you a lot for you clear and concise response!! If I would buy a kayak for photography only, I would buy a sit in kayak since you sit lower giving a better point of view for photography. I rented the outback to see if I would love the mirage drive and love it. The hobie revolution 16 seems to be a speed demon and i'll use the ama kit to make sure my camera gear doesn't fall in the water. I like to go fast and I know I will be limited in tight space but for all around cruising and sailing the revo 16 seems to be a winner!
I was not sure if the daggerboard was needed for sailing, thank you for pointing this out!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you feel like getting the paddle out the the 16 is about the only mirage kayak that is a decent paddler.

16 has more storage but front hatch is more tricky to access on water as Roadrunner points out. It does have a huge tankwell, but this does get wet underway being lower in the water.

13 is the most popular all rounder. But if you want to cover distance, especially in poor conditions the 16 is easier.

Problem with a sail kit and amas is that you might end up wishing you got the AI, especially if you want real speed.

The 16 is also quieter with less nose slap in choppy weather. It just feels slicker through the water.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the Outback and a new Revo 13. The speed of the Revo is amazing compared to the Outback. I'm also going to add the Sidekicks to my Revo for sailing. For me, especially in wind and swells, the Revo 13 must be used with the seat in the low position. Not sure how the 16 works in that regard. Also reaching behind the seat in the Revo for fishing rods and various stuff I need during an outing is more difficult than the Outback. My wife and I bought the Revo's for loading on our hullivators when traveling with our RV. It is lighter and narrow than an Outback and travels better on the hullivators.

I looked at your photography - it's great! Not sure what all you carry for taking photos but storage and access to stuff is way easier on the Outback than my Revo. I can use the Outback in most conditions with the seat in the high position. With the rectangular hatch, the side trays and the area under the seat I have a huge amount of easily accessible storage - including better access to the rear deck. I also think I can sail the Outback without the Sidekicks. And most importantly, for bass fishing (and I'm wondering about your photography) I need to get into some tight spots (especially in the Colorado River backwaters in Southern AZ.) The Sidekicks would be a pain in the butt if I had them on. And so would the additional footage of the Revo 16. It feels like the Outback may be the better platform for photography... maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For my photography, mainly wildlife, I use my 600mm F4 lense with my D850. Today I tried the tandem island 2014 and adventure island 2014. I tried both in kayak mode and try the tandem island with sail. There was no wind. It's all about compromise. I know for all around fun the tandem island is the big winner! You can have two people, carry more gear and it is still not bad in kayak mode. I was impressed on how fast you can set-up the kayak into a tri-maran! I might buy the tandem island with a used pungo 120. I would cover all my base with these two kayaks!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Imagehobie ride by eric laquerre, sur Flickr
After much reflexion, I bought a revolution 16 2018 with ama kit, turbo fin kit, sail rudder, daggerboard and the star sail supernova and gt sail combo. I will use it mainly as a kayak for photography and just to do some exercice. The weight made a big difference in my decision between the revo 16 vs adventure island. Knowing myself , I would have got tired of setting up and taking averything apart with the island after a while. The revo is 27lbs lighter in kayak mode and will be easier to transport with ama kit that I can put in the front hatch when not needed. It is also much more narrower with the ama kit and I will always use it when doing photography as an insurance for my 600mm f4 lense and my d850 camera.

1- One more question, I am looking for face shiedl to protect my face and kneck from the sun. What do you guys use for face shiedl, which brand works best, protection and breathability?
For hat I will use my Tilley Hat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

did you get the sea grass colour? Love that colour on the revo 16.

A lot of folks use face buffs/gaiters. Though I prefer a hat that has a neck/face shield wrap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes, I got the seagrass green. Not my first pick butnit was the 2018 model left. It starting to grow on me now!! :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Got my revo 16 2018 today!! There was only one revo 16 2018 left in canada and it was the seagrass green color! It was my last pick but now im glad about it!! It looks pretty good!! I didn't have the chance to try it yet but im getting 2 weeks vacation, next week!! :)

Here's some picture of my new toy!! Can't wait to try the starsail supernova with the ama sidekit!! It should be quite a blast! I also got the turbo fins upgrade, sailing rudder and daggerboard+ the dodger!! Lol! :)

Image2018-08-03_11-01-18 by eric laquerre, sur Flickr
Image2018-08-03_11-01-32 by eric laquerre, sur Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice! I have the TI and love it but wish I had the 16/AI when I go solo. Even with my TI though I would not take my 400 2.8/d800 combo on the water unless there was zero chop!!

My go to sailing camera is my Sony 6000 mirrorless cause it fits in the dry bag better.

As for sun protection I use hoo-rags I got a cool Hobie one at a fishing tournament that I love.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I will have my swimaid, aka ama kit! Without the ama kit I wouldn't take my 600mm on the water! :) It will walays be in a drybag and i'll take it out as needed! :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah I mean even in my TI with the ama’s I wouldn’t take my big gear out. Too low to the water, yes better angles for shots but too close to water for my liking. I had the PA 17T and it was a picture machine!! I could have my wife peddle while I shot and I could use my mono or tripod.

A fun shot off one of my yaks (can remember which one but probably the PA)

Watercolor post:

Sorry I’ll stop highjacking your thread now ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No worries! here's one not from my kayak!! lol!!

Imagepuffin by eric laquerre, sur Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Alright I think we’ll have to start a photo thread only rule is it has to be taken from a Hobie!