Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad Dealers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I really wish Hobie would take a more direct role in dealing with end users when it comes to warranty issues, recalls and updates. There seems to be a disconnect between the way it's supposed to work and how it actually works and the biggest problem is bad dealers.

The way it's supposed to work: Take your issue to any Hobie Dealer and they'll be happy to help.

In reality, there are many bad dealers out there that aren't interested in dealing with warranty issues, recalls and updates. If you didn't buy your kayak there, they really have little desire to put in the extra work. Even some dealers where you bought the kayak aren't too motivated with free updates and warranties after the sale.

It would be much better, as a consumer, if I could deal with Hobie directly and they would connect with the dealer of my choice to arrange for a solution from the start.

Last year the daggerboard on my 3-month-old TI broke. I took it back to the dealer I bought it from and asked if it would be covered under warranty. They said probably not, but would check. I paid full price for it and they never bothered to follow up.

Now I'm trying to get the no charge updates and have a week of e-mails and calls where I list out the parts and reference Matt's forum post, I can't get a response from them! Again, this is a dealer I bought a brand new TI and custom trailer from!

Hobie may have great customer service and warranty, but if they have bad dealers that can't/won't deliver on that, it's kind of meaningless.

Post subject: Re: Bad Dealers
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bummer... I have had 2 great dealers

Select Sail in Omaha NE and now Appomattox River Co in VA

They bend over backwards to help with a couple of my warranty claims. Nothing major like a dagger board. Just little stuff. If you are willing to pay shipping I bet they would ship you the updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a major flaw with my revo 16, dealer said no wouldn't be a warranty issue, emailed hobie AU direct and they called back within an hour having organised a replacement hull for me. wasn't too impressed with dealer not even wanting to put the issue to hobie in the first place, as the problem was as obvious as the nose on your face.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's funny, I have two dealers both within about 30-40 minutes of me (which is oddly lucky because I live in a cold-weather state). They are so different. One is meticulous with details and knows his stuff. The other one is sort of like a stereotype of a used-car salesman: always hustling for a sale, sloppy on detail and organization.

When I went to buy an Adeventure Island years ago, I went to the first one for obvious reasons. But he was impossible to buy from. He wanted me to pay full price for an AI that was three model years old. He actually got angry, complaining there weren't any significant differences. When I started to list them (the seat change was my main point), he got even more livid. I offered to pay the freight cost in full to have Hobie send a new one, but he actually refused. I ended-up walking out, which was kind of shocking, because I *REALLY* wanted the boat.

Called the second dealer. He told me he had the boat I wanted in stock. When I got there, he didn't. But in the end, he gave me a good deal on something close. When I got the boat home, it was missing parts because his inventory was scattered all over the warehouse. After waiting over a week to hear back if he found them, I walked back in the store, and we ended-up taking them off another boat in the showroom (felt bad for the next customer).

I think Hobie's policies with dealers is pretty good from what I've seen, and both dealers said they liked working with Hobie. But people are people, and Hobie can't control that...

I sometimes wish we could deal directly with Hobie, but I also realize that would change their business significantly, and I like that they're focused on making great products.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I was buying my boat last year (August?), I had a similar experience. I went to one dealer in a state south of me one morning a few minutes after they opened their store. I was one of only two customers in the building. I was looking to purchase/order a 2018 Rev13. I couldn't get waited on or even acknowledged by the person at the sales counter so I walked out. The next dealer, also in the same state south of me, I called on the phone. I told them what I wanted (looking to order the '18 boat) but the sales person kept trying to sell me a '17 boat, . . . "you need to come try one", "we can make you a great deal", etc. I wanted what I wanted and I really wanted to purchase at a dealership. I would have but the sales person couldn't figure out I was not interested in his used rental fleet. So I said "screw them both" and I ordered from ACK and had the boat shipped. Note: I would have purchased the '17 model but I really liked the loud and obnoxious Sea Grass color so I had to purchase the '18 to get it.

Regarding ACK. The rudder on my boat got broke, possibly in shipping, but more likely by me when I was loading it while picking it up at the shipper. I asked ACK about it on the phone, told them that I was sure it was my fault, but without hesitation they sent me a new rudder. That is amazing customer service! I wish they had a B&M store near me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I moved to the Pensacola Florida area a month ago and had some issues with my Hobie Compass I purchased when I lived in Texas. The seat clips broke, the plug loop things broke, and I have a paddle with blade snapped off. I called the local dealer Key Sailing and explained my situation and was promptly told they are too busy to deal with a kayak they didn't sell. I called Hobie, explained the situation, they called the store and called me back saying the store would be glad to help me and they arent sure who told me that earlier (it was the owner), so for me to bring it there to get the process started.

My problems are all known issues with the compass and the paddle blade is fairly common also. I have pictures of the broken parts, paperwork from the compass purchase and I am the original owner since March of this year. Instead of just popping the parts in the mail to me, Hobie wants me to go to the store that the owner said he is too busy to help me. I'd rather not step foot in that store since he is too busy.

I own 8 kayaks from various makes and had plans to buy a PA14 from my local hobie store that day, now I am watching ICAST videos and review videos to see what kayak I am going to spend my money on, it doesn't seem like Hobie wants it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:02 am 
Site Admin

We have contracts with dealers for how we do business and what they are required to do and what we can't do... like selling direct from the factory. We always have to route consumers to the dealer network due to supporting that business model. We have had many discussions here about how to better handle it when a dealer is not helpful and normally it is best to get the dealer to help the consumer. We will continue to look at options though.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That’s good to know. I wish dealers could offer discounts on your products though, if they could swing the profit loss and y’all still get what is owed to you, then awesome. A lot of times when I save money I use that money to buy accessories. Maybe let dealer use discount towards other Hobie products if they buy a kayak?