Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the stabilizing Hobie sidekick installed on my Outback. The central bar that the pontoons attach to is too far forward for me - hurts my back even after adding a cushion. I want to move it back. The brackets that hold the central pole in place are attached with wellnuts, I think. Anyway they are probably attached with whatever the Hobie standard attachment in the kit would be. When I try to unscrew them, the wellnut or other holder just spins and the bolt does not retract. I have a big bruise on my forearm from where I tried to reach inside through the (fairly distant) central hatch to grab on to something. Any suggestions on how to get it out? I don't mind ruining the attachments, I can just replace those.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It’s pretty likely you will need to drill the heads off the bolts, let the pieces drop into the hull, then recover them.
Hobie sells a plastic welder and matching welding rod that you can use to fill in the holes.
You will need to get new bolts at the hardware store, when you re-locate to the new location.
That’s what I would do.
FE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same issue (partly) with my Revo 16, the bar interfered with the back of the chair. I was able to get the wellnuts out and just reinstalled them in the same holes to keep water out. It it possible to use needle noes pliers to pull up on the outer portion of the well nut rubber near the screw head and use a drill or electric screwdriver to turn the screw head faster? If you do need to drill out the screws I would not want to weld the plastic, just put fresh wellnuts in the round hole and tighten them down. The expanded rubber will do the same thing as the current hardware, just without holding the pole in place.