Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I have spent the last two days trying to find, on this forum, youtube, general internet, etc, a solution but have found nada. Please help if you can.

We have a 4-5 yr old Revo 11; the down rudder control recently went slack, just hangs. I opened up both of the hatches and can see where the shock cord has come loose from whatever it was attached to inside the hull aft of the seat. The lines are intact, but the cord just hangs there. The up control is fine, both ends of the shock cord attached. I have tried taking pics, mirrors, online, etc, but can not find or reach anything that would give me a place to start.

Our local dealers just say bring the boat in, it will take a while since its summer but we can ultimately get to you.

Videos I have seen do not address the actual location of these items, or how one is supposed to reach them via the two small hatches?

ANY HELP would be very appreciated, we want to use our boats while the summer is here! Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The shock cord just ties onto the line - it's a simple take-up system. Copy how it's tied on the (up side) use a cellphone to shoot some photos or a video inside the hull. There should be a knot on the line where the bungee was originally tied in place - or it was hog ring attached.

Shouldn't keep the boat from being used. When you pull the down line to deploy the rudder you should put the line in the cleat at the bottom of the map pocket frame - that keeps the rudder from lifting up.... the fact that you're saying it just hangs down indicated to me that you're not locking the rudder down while in use. This can cause the kayak to veer left if it's lifting up while in the water.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

This might help a bit, the manual linked here has some images of the lines inside the hull.

https://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/Twist-n-Stow_Repair_Manual.pdf#page=9

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks very much, this should be enough to get me going now. appreciate the help!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One last question:

Thanks to the pics, I took some of my own and figured out how things are connected. The aft shock cord hog clip had failed, thus the slack. I got a few tangles out but the cord is about a foot short of reaching the rear hatch so I can reattach them back together.

The only way I can see to get it reconnected is to splice in another section at the rudder, pull things through to the front hatch, reattach, and then back out and reattach at the rudder.

Does that sound like the correct process? Thanks in advance.