Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kayak side dolly
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Like to Keep my kayak indoors (my basement) but my new compass is to wide to go through the door so I need to figure a way to dolly the kayak on its side. Tried furniture flat dolly but didn’t work as well as I thought. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Kayak side dolly
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Way back I used to store our Oasis on a mechanics creeper, the plastic blow molded type that was curved fitted the Oasis pretty good.
I’m not sure that Hobie still recommend storing kayaks on their side like they used to though?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Tduff1301 wrote:
I need to figure a way to dolly the kayak on its side. Tried furniture flat dolly but didn’t work as well as I thought. Any suggestions?
Here's another possibility: Pick up a couple of "J" racks and mount them about 3 feet apart on a 2x6 board. If you need more height to clear the rounded hull, you can add blocks under the racks.

Bolt the board on your furniture dolly (or something short with large wheels that can tilt and wheel over your door threshold)

Strap the boat to the racks so you can push it from the back and tilt it over any obstacles.

For storage on the dolly, cut some foam wedges to support the lower side and provide additional load relief at the bow and stern, perhaps with braces. Otherwise you will grow dents where the boat rests. If it works out, post a picture! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Denting depends on several factors -- weight, hull curvature (location), temperature, and time. Best storage position is upside down on the rails. You can store on the side if you distribute the weight adequately. If storing right side up on cradles I recommend auxiliary supports near the bow and stern or the boat may eventually sag in the cradle area. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A company called Suspenz has a rolling rack that holds the boats on their sides in webbed slings. I've got their deluxe rack for my two boats, and I love it!