Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mrs. Puto has expressed interest in adding a tandem kayak to our menagerie. It appears only the Outfitter and the Oasis come are available in a tandem configuration (with Mirage drives).

Can anyone lay out the basic differences / pros / cons ? This would be for use on a medium (15,000 acre) fresh water lake and mostly for recreation/fun/exploring for up to a few hours at a time.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had an outfitter and for the lighter setup it was great. If I got a great deal on an outfitter I would get it again. If I was buying from the dealer I would get an Oasis I think because it can hold more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:04 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

IMO both boats are very stable, but the Oasis is quieter in the water, faster and drier. The Outfitter tends to slap and spit water when running against chop. The Outfitter might be a better choice if you need a more compact boat for storage. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

^Bump

I'm still soliciting input on a mirage tandem. Now the Compass Duo can be added into the mix. I was hoping the Hobie website would have one of those features where you can click on a box to compare up to 3 or 4 boats with one another (features/specs/sizes/etc), but so far I have been unable to locate such a handy shopping tool.

Soooo, adding the /Compass Duo into the mix, thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Haven’t seen it in person but if it’s anything like a lighter PA17T it will be the bees knees!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had an outfitter and it was pretty slow, stable, and slapped the waves.
This video is a good comparison: https://rodbendingsworld.com/hobie/hobi ... -outfitter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Davesp, thanks for the video link. It does clearly spell out the primary pros and cons of each of the two models.
Unfortunately, I heard earlier this month from Hobie that they have discontinued the tandem Outfitter with the introduction of the Compass Duo. While 2018's might still be lingering in dealer stores, there will not be models from 2019 forward.

Now, I have to go back and revisit my entire comparison, this time between the Oasis and the Compass tandems. There does not appear to be a lot of info on the Compass Duo yet, still too new of a model.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a new to me Oasis, love it, but don’t really have anything to compare it to. I use it more solo so far, and it’s very stable in the Ocean.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you to all of you for your advice, insight, and experiences during the last six months.

Okay, well fate had decided for me. I wasn't really in the market and I don't really have a place to store a 14.5 foot boat, but I saw a CL used 2015 Oasis tandem in red. Red is the color I would choose if buying brand new - it matches my other kayaks (Hobie single Mirage drive, and a sit inside Wilderness Systems).

It came with A TON of extras, including the fatter rudder, one of the mirage drives has turbo fins, the boat has Vantage CT seats and ball drains (not Stormy Daniels, By the way), the spare pair of unused normal fins, two adult PFD's a never-used sail kit, a small 8-inch round hatch organizer, original documentation, a bilge hand pump, inflatable rebounding kit, two cassettes, a pair of Hobie 2-piece paddles, and a pair of Hpbie mirage drive storage bags. Oh- it also came with the Hobie trax sandy-beach scupper cart (not sure if Trax 2 or Trax 30-2).

The boat has a lot of superficial external scratches, and both rudder control handles are pretty beat up. It is clear it was ocean used. It appears to have been quickly rinsed or dunked, but not really thoroughly cleaned. The drives work well with minimal play and no grit. One of the drive's adjustment levers is a little sticky, but not stuck.

I gave everything a good fresh water rinse, and I dunked (repeatedly) and soaked the mirage drives, paddles, and PFD's in a 30-gallon trash can filled with fresh water.

My plan is to keep these out of the ocean from here on out. I am moving from So Cal to a lake-filled region in the SouthEast, so they will be used on fresh water from here on. I managed to shoe-horn it into my garage for now.

All that for $2,500. Pretty good deal or no?