Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Question that I need help with. Wife and I have Revo 11's, multiple years of use, but we just ride in them. Use of the space behind the seat or bow storage box is only when beached, twist and stow in front of seat of course is accessible, but otherwise, the storage is non-usable. We are both older, would never try to stand up or be able to crawl forward somehow to access storage.

So, we would like to try fishing, inshore only, but not sure where to start. Do we add outriggers to steady the boat so we could sit side saddle and reach behind, but even then the bow is now in reach. How do you actually sit in a Hobie and use the space?

It seems like a simple question but darn if we have been able to figure it out, have watched videos, read endless threads, etc, but in real life, how do you actually use the space Hobie provides without beaching and then going back out?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As a starter, suggest:
One easy way is to use a mesh bag that you can carry behind the seat.......use a 1/4" nylon line about 4' long so the bag is secured to your seat frame to keep from losing it.
It's easy to drop behind you and retrieve when needed.

Use a minimal amount of tackle inside the bag....too many people load up their kayak with tackle and use less than 5 % of what they carry :wink:
If you mount a fishing pole mount to the hull (Scotty or whatever), you can safely carry your rod/reel in, it parallel to the hull when not in use.

Give it a try and find out what works for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

These have worked great for me. Velcro right to the back of a vantage seat:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:39 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

sel1005 wrote:
How do you actually sit in a Hobie and use the space? ...how do you actually use the space Hobie provides without beaching and then going back out?
Legs in the water for low center of gravity, scoot.

8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It's easy to turn sideways in a sit-on-top kayak to reach gear in the rear storage area, and you will be stable and comfortable when turned sideways. I do it many times a day.

It's more of a hassle to slide forwards to reach gear under your front hatch, because you need to reach over your Mirage Drive. When you get into the area under your front hatch, hang on to the hatch cover. If you throw the hatch cover all of the way open, you'll need to crawl way forwards to grab it so you can close it.

On a prior kayak, I mounted pockets for gear on the back of my seat. See http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/in ... #msg128575 . It was awkward and inconvenient to reach back to get gear when I was facing forward in my seat, particularly since I couldn't see what I was reaching for. I ended up turning sideways in my seat to get at the gear on the back of my seat. So while seat-back gear storage can be useful, don't count on being able to get at the gear without turning sideways in your seat.

On my Revolution, I store pliers, a fish bonker, a folding knife, shears, a lip gripper, and attractant bottles in the mesh pockets next to my seat. This is way more convenient than storing them on the back of my seat. But I still turn sideways to get at gear in my rear storage area.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

awesome, thanks much everyone, especially for the pics

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Since rotating in the seat has been brought up, I really miss the ability of swinging my legs over the side when fishing. The new Hobie seat is very comfortable but the support straps make this position nearly impossible. My last two paddle yaks, F&S and Wilderness Systems, were great for cooling my toes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm in the same boat, so to speak, new at this getting old stuff. Btw, great pictorial above Roadrunner. My first year in a Hobie, and its just the Sport. I can do the above maneuvers, carefully, most days, lol. The Sport is tippy but it only feels more so at first than it is. I'd get in some shallow water and practice moving around, also practice flipping it in 4-5 ft of water and recovery if you haven't.

I did add the Sidekick Amas to the 2017 Sport and love them, neat option. Easy/clean install, the base bar doesn't take up any room whether using it or not, easy to use, or not. You can take with and install later or vice versa, and they store easily in the hull deflated.

As for storage, I'd recommend a cooler behind, some of the seat bags mentioned work and crates work but what I'm using for fishing tackle, and this is a pantented top top secreted secret... is my fly fishing vest, just put the vest over the seat back. Several pockets in a good vest will hold more tackle than you'll need, and in arms reach on either side of the chair.

~ Zen