Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just read that there were issues with the tankwell floor mounted thru-hull grommet on some 2015-2016 Revo 16's, and also a warranty fix or something. My Revo 16 is a 2016 model I think, according to the serial #, and it has the grommet on the tankwell floor and not on the bulkhead.

Should I be worried, and should I contact Hobie about it?

I've pedaled in some pretty choppy seas and always ended up with about a quart of water in the hull, which seems ok after taking quite a few waves over the bow, but now I'm worried that some of the water may have gotten through the grommet, which I found to be a tiny bit loose after checking it. Also, are there any concerns that a heavy cooler/milk crate sliding around, or a thrashing fish might knock the grommet loose, or even worse, rip it out? Seems like a possible scenario especially with a transducer wire hanging out of it, ready to get snagged on something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There was a change made just based on customer feedback to place it on the bulkhead rather than the floor in later generation Revo. All thru-hull fittings can leak a bit (you could maybe add a bit of marine goop to the plug if you're concerned) - and when out in rough conditions having water enter through hatches topside is not out of the ordinary. I have never heard of a thru-hull fitting being ripped out of the hull, but even if it were you would just simply replace it with a fresh fitting, since they're available from any Hobie shop directly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The thru the hull fitting is an above deck fitting not designed for below water line installation. The revo 16 bulkhead is too narrow for the older fitting with back nut and so was the only model where it was installed on bottom of tankwell.

Unfortunately the revo 16/adventure hull is low in the water and the tank well floods under operation. This puts that fitting under water, not just splashed. ie that fitting is not fit for purpose in that location. It is a design error. This was rectified with the introduction of the surface mounted fitting which could then be fitted on the bulkhead.

The original fitting will leak, even filled with goop, and if the goop fails, or if reinstalled without full knowledge of the leak risk, it can let go in a big way, and there is nothing you can do about it on the water. It is unlikely to get ripped out, but that backnut is not tight, and the the blanking plugs are just push fit. Keep in mind it is something that is going to be disassembled and reassembled from time to time as wiring is swapped out.

I had my 2015 hull replaced for a 2016 hull under warranty due to this issue, bogging with goop is not an acceptable fix. If you cant get the hull replaced then have that hull plastic welded over/plugged, and reinstall the newer fitting on the bulkhead. Not a difficult job for someone half competent with a plastic welder. I would not feel safe left as is, it will fail at sometime in the lifetime of the kayak.

Other than that a great kayak.