Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone,

I have a Native FX12 right now that paddles like a dream (with 240cm carbon paddle upgrade). Its easy to turn and easy to launch. I fish for bass primarily, so typically, I am sliding my kayak down an embankment thru grass and some mud, jump in and go. However, its not super stable for standing up. And my distance is limited due to paddling.

So, I am thinking about upgrading to an Outback and have a couple of questions for the group, please pardon my lack of knowledge. I am new to Kayaking. And thanks in advance for your help:
1. Paddling an Outback - I have heard its a bit "sluggish" due to weight, and hull design. There are times where I might want to paddle it. What is it really like to paddle it?
2. Launching - ok, stupid question... but am thinking I must pull mirage drive out before sliding it down an embankment, then insert it in the water, right? Same for pulling the kayak back to land.
3. Launching - what happens to my lowrance when dragging the kayak in to launch it? Does it tear it up or is it protected in some way?
4. Pedaling - The fun part - so I am assuming that my range will be greatly extended with the pedals? Right? I typically paddle a couple of miles on a fishing trip depending on wind, etc. How much more distance can i expect with the mirage drive? double or more?
5. Standing up - Really important to me for fly fishing. My Native is quite tippy. Do you guys stand up in the Outback on lakes and calm streams? Do you need the stand up assistance bar?

Thanks everyone. I appreciate any help and comments.

Tight lines,

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

1. The Outback is a poor paddler due to (a) it's very wide and (b) it doesn't track well at all with the rudder up. The first issue is not a deal killer, just an inconvenience/inefficiency issue. The second issue is much worse but it can be somewhat mitigated by leaving the rudder down and stuffing a rag under the control to lock it in place. Of course, in practice locking the rudder isn't that great because the only time I want to paddle is when it's too shallow to butterfly the pedal drive, so the rudder needs to be up anyway. TLDR: Paddling the Outback is only for shallow water and Mirage Drive failures; avoid if possible.

2. Yep. You can leave the drive in if you are just beaching it temporarily.

3. The built in Lowrance fitting does fine with beaching.

4. With a sail kit, my routine trip is about 12 miles which takes me 3.5 hours (including nap time). Two miles is barely a warm up. I kayak over two miles each way just to go to breakfast on the weekends.

5. I can stand in the Outback OK, but the PA is much better suited for flyfishing. If you don't want to sail and don't want to pay PA prices, I'd look at the Compass.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Pollo,

So is the Compass easier to paddle if needed? I know the hull design is different. What about stability of the Compass vs Outback for standing up? Seems easier in the Outback. Unfortunately the Pro Angler is not an option for me as I have to car top this boat.

Appreciate your help... guess I better build up my paddling muscles too. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i just got the 2018 Outback myself and love it. Im 51 years old and fairly OUT of shape and I will typically do 8-10 miles every time I take it out fishing. I would NOT recommend beaching it with the drive in as I learned the hard way that sand and silt will get in the bearings and tear them up and cause ANNOYING squeaks! I just had to tear my drive down after about 5 uses due to beaching and re-grease the bearings. It had also slightly damaged the bearing surfaces and I had to sand them smooth. As far as stability I can easily stand up by pulling myself up with the pedals. I fish standing up and even throw a cast net off of it while standing. I have only been out on it about 7 times so I can only imagine my balance will get better with time. It paddles pretty well but why paddle when you can peddle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe the compass paddles better than the outback, any of them are hopeless if you dont pull the drive while doing so due to drag of the drive, especially if you get cross winds or currents which will cause major tracking issues. As far hobies go the only ones that are fit paddlers are the quests and the revo 16. All of which have more extended keels to the rear. It is why quest paddles better than the revo 13 despite other similarities.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jeffreydc....Just a suggestion about pulling yourself up by the pedals......I think that is a really bad idea due to the excessive strain placed on the Mirage Drive and the click and go hardware.
With my old Outback, I used my bow line to help pull myself up.
You could also consider installing the Hobie adjustable H-bar if you are going to stand up all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the tips and info guys. Yes, I was thinking it best to pull the drive during beaching (too many moving parts for dirt to get into). Good to hear about standing up, since that is critical for me. My native has ZERO secondary stability. I capsized it last weekend. Was lucky to only lose my sunglasses. H bar looks very interesting. Am thinking I will get the outback then see if I need it. I found out during the demo that using the chair to stand makes it easier too.

Paddling... sometimes based on how skinny the water is... paddling is just better and it seems like its a lot more manueverable too. Maybe with time, I will be able to handle the rudder and pedals the same way. And I just enjoy paddling sometimes. Good tip on removing the mirage drive, wasnt thinking about the drag from that... however, if you put both fins down, wouldnt it act like a skeg?