Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does the sail overwhelm the smaller kayak with heel in a gust? How does the Mirage Sport sail?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:04 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The Sport is a good little sailer as kayaks go. Of course you have to be alert to any gusts, as the boat reacts pretty fast. If you lack sailing experience or just want capsize-proof sailing, you should consider adding the Sidekick for additional stability. Here's an old report (unfortunately some of the pics are gone) that goes into a bit more detail:

Roadrunner wrote:
Sailing: This boat sailed amazingly well for a 9.5 footer! Less tender (tippy) than my Revo 11 in spite of its shorter length, there was very little weather helm in light to moderate winds. There was also surprisingly very little leeway (sideways slippage) upwind. I went sailing along side a longer, sleeker Hobie Adventure with daggerboard and managed to stay essentially even with it in lighter winds. As winds picked up the Adventure's greater hull speed came into play, but still very impressive! The Sport out-tacked the Adventure and had excellent manners and control -- got up to 4.2 MPH in moderate breeze. If you like sailing and understand the limitations of kayak sailing, you will really enjoy this little Sport! Here are some pics from my friend Mike:
Image Image Image

With a couple of small mods, you can take the sail along stowed along side of your boat until ready to use it when the wind comes up -- you just need to pre-rig the mainsheet ahead of time. When done, simply unstep the mast, roll the sail up and stow it along side. Easy after you get the hang of it.
Image Image
8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a Sport, first year with it and I’ll be posting more about it but so far love it. You can go minimalist or pack quite a lot on or it for a long day or weekend. I definitely plan to sail it by next season, sounds like great fun on this little Porsch. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am an avid sailor (or so I think) and regularly sail my AI and TI. I recently picked up a newer sport and tried the sail out. note: I did not have the furling device hooked up. Winds were about 6-10 mph. I ended up flipping twice with hard gusts.... With a furled sail I would have been fine and had the proper sail length out. Like the previous post- the Sport is Extremely responsive.... I still had a blast and plan to sail it more- just make sure you work your way up to stronger winds and do make/purchase some type of furling device. It scoots along well if you hit the correct angle! I haven't tried the SideKicks on it yet, but do have them and plan on giving them a try.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ha, yeah I bet fun. I will install a furling kit, already have the Sidekicks for whenever I feel the need (wobbly mornings...ahem :-). It is a little tippy but it doesn't take long to get a feel for its limits. Just beginning, fished for 50 years but all power (or oars), never sailed (or peddled) and fully expect to flip it even with a furling kit! lol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just be careful..... Once you begin sailing - theres no going back - An AI will be in your future ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

VaBeach1 wrote:
Just be careful..... Once you begin sailing - theres no going back - An AI will be in your future ;)

There's an Island in all our sailing futures - it's the Zimmer Frame of small sailboats. But until that glorious day, I will be sailing my ever-so slightly-tricked Sport and loving its minimalism.