Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have researched everything related to this topic and have found a few hits, but no good solutions.

My goal is to add either adventure island amas/akas or aftermarket amas/akas to my oasis so that I have trampolines.

Issue is getting the adventure island amas/akas set up from the dealer is probably going to be around $1200-1500. I’m still waiting on my dealer to give me the quote with shipping.

Second option was to order the large Finn kayak outriggers, but I spoke to the manufacturer and he said he’s too busy to make them right now. Also, Finn kayaks is out of Australia so shipping is a pain for both parties.

It seems like the only good option is to fork over all the money for hobie adventure island parts. I also was thinking about getting two sidekick Ama kits and running a bar laterally from aka to aka, then I could possibly have a small haka or trampoline? I would think hobie could corner the market because I haven’t seen many aftermarket Ama/outrigger kits for kayaks that are similar to the AI or TI.

Anyone have the AI parts I am looking for or any better ideas?

Please let me know, I would greatly appreciate it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Similar project - I'm adding an ama and akas from my 2012 AI to a 2015 Oasis. Since the Oasis is wider, I need longer crossbars than the ones that came with the AI, which are 25.25" or so. Sounds like the TI rear # 79530201 are 28", which should be just wide enough.

And if curious, I'm planning to use a sleeve (1.5" sch 40 aluminum pipe) as removable 'stilts' between the akas and ama to account for the difference in deck height. If you were buying all parts new I suspect the 2015 akas would work without this hack, being made for a taller boat.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

does anyone have any more info on this project/. i am also very interested

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I finally bought the parts I needed to add my extra '12 ama to my '15 Oasis and it seems to work fine. I bolted the crossbars behind the seats as far apart as possible, which is still 1.5" shorter than the distance on the AI. This means that the ama will fold in, but it doesn't feel smooth near the end and probably stresses the hardware a bit.

To keep the ama in the water with the higher deck of the Oasis, I added 12" lengths of 1.5" schedule 40 aluminum pipe to extend the feet of the akas. The first slid on with grease, but the second required some sanding. The OD of the pipe conveniently matches the ID of the bottom of the oversized holes in the ama. Wrapped some rubber flooring material around to make the top snug.

Works great. Taken it through surf for crabbing and salmon fishing.

I forget if there's an easy way to include pictures on this forum. Do they need to be hosted elsewhere? Until I figure it out, the pictures are available at http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index ... ic=86177.0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New Guy here. I was hoping you might able to help me with a few questions related to adding an outrigger / Ama, aka combo onto my 2017 Oasis. Wife wants to bring the dog and first thought was I would need to get a TI, but saw the mods you and others were making. Trying to visualize what materials I need:
Obviously a front and rear x-bar, but from a AI or TI? Seems that the front on some I looked at were much more expensive(+$100). Not sure why that is unless it has some sort of support for the mast built in. Clearly would not need that. I cannot find lengths. I assume I would need to go with V2 2015 + across the board for compatibility.

Looks like it will be difficult to get the bar clamp mount brackets bolted in. Any tips? .

Need a front and rear AKA, but from a AI or TI? Is there a difference....and are they interchangeable between x-bars?

I was planning on attempting to make an Ama type unit out of foam and fiberglass, which should allow me to add height for mounting...have not figured that out yet, Additionally that will allow me to build mount holes consistent with the width I end up with between the aka's.

Apologies for all the questions, but seems like a rather expensive option and want to do it with a bit of confidence that it will work.

Thanks!