Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2017 Outback limited and was wondering if the foam blocks in the hull are necessary or just for shipping? I realize they do help keep things from moving around in the hull but are they structurally necessary? It is just easier to clean out the hull and dry it without them in place. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They are required to meet Coast Guard flotation regulations and add structural support for the deck when standing or kneeling.
Don't remove them :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The flotation installed by Hobie is supposed to be sufficient to keep a kayak afloat even when it's full of water. But that flotation may not be sufficient to keep a kayak afloat with a lot of fishing gear mounted on it. So I have added foam pool noodles to the inside of my Revolution, which is an inexpensive way to add flotation. I have jammed large-diameter pool noodles between various scupper tubes to keep them from shifting around inside my Revolution. I have also used pool noodles to make barriers which keep gear from sliding around inside my kayak and becoming un-reachable when I'm on the water. Don't install pool noodles in a location where they could interfere with the rudder control cables.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm finding the (new to me) Mirage Sport, the more weight you put in affects handling after a point, and slows the cruise avg. More displacement I guess. I don't know if it would float full of water and me. I probably will add some pool noodles although the need seems remote, can't carry a lot inside anyway. I stick a piece in my fly vest also, handy stuff.

I often [so far] find myself packing way too much, but it is a sense of security or handy in case... but I gotta work on trimming the load in this mini yak. A longer or wider craft will obviously carry more still, so there is that to factor as well. How much will it float? It's a good question especially if you're drifting, lost at sea or some such! Most Lower 48 lakes I'm not too concerned, but aside from taking up space you probably don't need, what can it hurt?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I asked this same question over a year ago. The Site Administrator indicated that the foam blocks were required for legal sale in Europe. Nothing was said then about Coast Guard requirement. I took this to mean it was easier for them to install them on all Outbacks. I took mine out last month while I was installing a FF and haven't put them back in. Please let me know if I'm violating CG regs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok thanks for the info that they are required... I took mine out to clean out the hull,,, some water was in there and got a bit smelly. So yes I am an idiot for removing them to clean out the funky smell,, now does anyone (Hobie) had a diagram of which ones go where so i can install them back in the hull? :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yakrazy45 wrote:
I asked this same question over a year ago. The Site Administrator indicated that the foam blocks were required for legal sale in Europe. Nothing was said then about Coast Guard requirement. I took this to mean it was easier for them to install them on all Outbacks. I took mine out last month while I was installing a FF and haven't put them back in. Please let me know if I'm violating CG regs.

You should put the foam blocks back in so your kayak won't sink if it gets filled up with water. And if you carry a lot of fishing gear on your kayak, you should consider adding additional foam. Install the additional foam in places where you don't stash gear and where it won't interfere with the rudder lines, such as under the rear cargo area. Jam it in between scupper holes so the foam won't slide around inside your kayak.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Several years ago after I bought my new 2010 Outback in 2009, I was concerned about flotation as Hobie was not adding the foam blocks as they do today.

I basically bought several, 3' long pool noodles from the Dollar Store, determined how many I could install length wise on either side of the Mirage Drive "trunk".
I think it was 4 noodles on either side, so I placed them inside the Outback and tied them together in a bundle so they would not come lose.
It was simple and easy to do.

As pmmpete noted, you can jam in as many as you want, as long as the internal spectra lines are kept free to operate turning the rudder and retracting it.