Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2019 Outback Questions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For anyone that has a new Outback yet, or anyone from Hobie, I have some questions on the new Outback.

My local dealer won't have one for a few weeks yet so I won't be able to look at one until then. I mainly use mine for fishing and expeditions. Needless to say with the expeditions, the under hull storage is critical for hauling tents, dry bags and all sorts of gear. It will be difficult for me to make a decision until I can see the smaller front hatch and evaluate if I can still stuff as much crap in the hull as I can the current model.

Additionally, I have outfitted every Outback I have had in the past with a set of the YETI cooler stainless steel tie down receptacles in the back tray, as well as mounted additional flush mount rod holders through the back deck. Both of these operations required use of the rear hatch to access the underside of the hull and either tighten nuts or perform some other type of operation for a successful install. I am concerned about the lack of a rear hatch, so a few questions based on that:
    -Does that rear circle looking thing above the rudder come off and allow access to any of the rear hull area?
    -Is that nice circular outline with the Hobie "H" in the back tray for crazies like me who want to saw into a brand new hull and add a circular hatch?
    -If the later is true, is there even any room under the hull at that point for storage or is it more compact now?

Any help on the above issues or re-assurance on under hull storage much appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

Howie or Kevin would be the best at answering for Hobie... both are out until early next week. I will send a link to them in hopes they will see and respond.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Outstanding thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Subscribed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi absentx, here are the answers to your questions:
-Does that rear circle looking thing above the rudder come off and allow access to any of the rear hull area? No it does not, it is the steering drum which connects to the rudder through a small scupper hole.
-Is that nice circular outline with the Hobie "H" in the back tray for crazies like me who want to saw into a brand new hull and add a circular hatch? Yes it is :) You can add an 8" twist and seal hatch in that location. In older Outbacks that hatch came standard because it was needed to access the internal steering lines. With the new steering system on the 2019 Outback it is not needed. One thing we noticed with installing this hatch is that there is a good chance of cutting the rudder up/down lines during the install, so the line needs to be loosened before doing any cutting. We are working on instructions on how to do this which should be ready this week. I'll post them here as a reply as soon as we have them.
-If the later is true, is there even any room under the hull at that point for storage or is it more compact now? Yes there is a fair amount of room in there. It's almost 5" deep in the center and about 2.75" on the edges where the grooves come up from the bottom of the hull, but it drops off deeper again to each side of those grooves. Definitely enough room to store some smaller items back there.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Alright great stuff thanks for the detailed reply!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good info! It is big enough to fit the same bucket that fits in the rear hatch of the 2017 Outbacks (the same as the center hatch but I changed mine to the rectangular one so put the round one in the rear and put the fish finder battery in it).

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If the dealer installs the rear circle hatch will the hull be in warranty still? I like putting the battery back there. I heard there will be a bucket for the front hatch area, is that true? I’m actually driving 2 hrs today to put $$$ for a preorder. Can’t wait,