Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

August 2018 I bought an early Mirage Tandem (upgraded to V2 Turbo fins) that was represented as having a fixed leak.
After a two hour outing we realized the interior cavity was mostly full of water. I could not pull the kayak, on sand wheels, up the beach.

When we got home I found the old repair just in front of the right side sand wheel mount hole. It was not clear exactly where the leak was but there is an area about 2 to 3 inches around where the is a lot of abrasion.

I watched a number of YouTube videos on repairing kayaks and welding on HDPE and given the location and size of the area I wanted to do the repair on both the outside and inside surfaces. I found a 5" hatch and a good spot to install it close enough to the leak to weld from the inside.

But when I inspected the area of the leak and compared it to the other side of the hull, it is apparent that the thickness of the hull on the right is maybe 1/2 that of the left and there is a web or flaw that separates the area of normal thickness from the thin.

Does Hobie have a means of helping me upgrade to a current model instead of having to try to fix this issue?

If I have to perform the repair I'd like to find a section of donor material that includes the right side sand wheel mount hole and a number of inches of material forward.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:49 am 
Site Admin

Thickness of rotomolded products do vary, so not really unusual to see a variance.

The kayaks come with a two year warranty. We often make exceptions for issues out for few more years, but this sounds like a pretty old kayak? This is also at least second hand... so likely outside the reasonable period where we would be able to do anything in the warranty system.

There are a bunch of topics in the forums about repairs. One using DP8010 sticks in my memory as a thread with a bunch of good information.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/search.php?keywords=DP8010&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So does anyone have a donor kayak i could salvage for this repair?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it was me in a kayak that old, I would just clean the area around the leak about 3” out from the leak, it sounds like you can reach inside. Once cleaned, spray a light coat of krylon for plastics clear coat over the area on the inside. Then empty a tube of clear ge silicone over the area about 1/4” thick. This will seal the boat from water, ( similar to an innertube patch). Should last many years.
Yea you can weld it but that is high risk, and probably not neccessary, the main thing is to stop the water leak. I wouldn’t do anything on the outside.
FE