Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2019 hobie outback
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I currently own a Hobie 2018 outback, in my opinion all it needed to be done was the retractable transducer . That was real nice. I also own a 2008 Hobie outback. The hobie 2008 goes 1 mile an hour faster with the same effort. The 2019 I would not even call it an OUTBACK. Maybe I will call it failed attempt to make a lightweight pro angler. Think of it, if you using a good fishfinder with side scan you need a bigger battery. I like to spend some time out on the water. That means putting in bigger battery or two batteries, one in front of the boat and one in the rear of the boat that is how I have my 2018. In the 2019 you have a hatch to get the steering that's it, I could be wrong, my Hobie 2018 is definitely custom I have done some modifications to the hull to install batteries, I don't see this happening in the 2019.
I have yet to try the rudder System of the 2019, to me it looks like more stuff the break, just the idea of them putting on that to replaceable skid pads and that plastic thing to assist so you don't damage the rudder.
And for the interior of the boat in the dream they thought that they were giving you more room to put stuff. We use milk crates to put our equipment in. A kayak should be a clean design we're nothing gets in your way and everything is within line of sight . So now you have a place 2 tackle boxes, that can easily be stored under your seat to begin with.
My advice to Hobe will be not to call this and outback call it something else but not an outback.
I do have to give you thumbs-up on the transducer fix, it would allow me to trailer the kayak easier.
Overall I would have to give this boat two thumbs down for a failed attempt to put everything on a boat that why they have the pro angler, bigger, heavier, must use trailer and the can't do associated in their attempt.
THE NEW COKE-COLA ,AND YOU KNOW HOW THAT WENT.

Last edited by warrenjean on Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 2019 hobie outback
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I wouldn't care if they called it BOB. Its a really nice platform that offers more versatility than the 2018 Outback and is MUCH easier to handle than my PA was. Of course that's just my opinion. It sounds like you have upgraded your Outback to suit your needs. Good fishing.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you ever find the opportunity to paddle one, take it. You will find that the cockpit layout is one of the best on the market. It's as you describe a kayak should be, very clean design where nothing is in your way yet everything in line of sight/within reach. I personally do not prefer to constantly be getting into my milk crate and prefer to have everything I regularly need accessible without turning around, which the 2019 does very well.

Also, this thing will flat scoot. It moves through the water very nicely and turns extremely well. Also it is hardly impacted by wind. I went out this morning with 10-15 mph winds and the kayak moved at a snail's pace while I was fishing.

In my opinion, I would have never considered a pre-2019 outback because it didn't suit my needs. Hard to believe anyone would be upset over the improvements made, but I guess you can't please everyone. I'm glad you have a yak that you have set up just the way you want it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Picking up mine Wednesday. Love the improvements. Glad to see a company not resting on its laurels. Glad to see innovations to a wonderful platform for professional anglers. I would hate to see the crew get complacent and then listen to goobersmacks (censored) about no innovations. You can’t please everyone. Thumbs up Morgan, Keaton, and everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bashing the new model because you like the older one? Maybe the most inane post I’ve ever read. My advice to you, go use the boat you bought and enjoy it. There are plenty of options for anyone out there buying a kayak. Bashing one that does not suit your needs is a waste forum space. My advice to you, start your own kayak company and show Hobie how to do it right. Open your own online forum and fume away somewhere else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone who had a 2018 Outback and then saw the new 2019...they'd try to justify having the old too. :)

If you were happy with the 2018 why angrily post about the 2019? It's irrelevant and you're too busy using the kayak to be concerned with forums.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

$3,000 for an Outback is something I have trouble justifying. A PA 12 is $700 more and the PA 14 is only $800 more. The Outback was originally an entry level fishing kayak but those days have clearly passed.