Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all, I offered to help a friend repair his Mirage Kayak. The steering cable is broken at the rudder (both ends are still visible) and he needs some other parts. My problem is that this Mirage just says "Mirage" on it. I can't find any model that matches it - I'm assuming that it's an older model that may have been put out of production (?). Anyway, it is 12' 6" long (hull length). has a storage with the lid behind the seat and two hatches. I need to find the cable kit and the mechanism that secures the peddles (or the plug) - 2 X 3/8 threaded fem. Anyone with information that could steer me the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

>>>--->vwhead77

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:51 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The Hobie Mirage was their original pedaling kayak, first produced in 1998. When other models were introduced, it was renamed Mirage "Classic". It was produced through the 2006 model year. Excellent little boat!

Your serial # should be on the side or bottom of the hull near the stern, hand etched. The last two digits are the model year.

If you want to send a pic of your drivewell, I'll be happy to see if anything is missing.

Your original rudder lines were monofilament, but have long since been replaced with Spectra. You'll have to re-string it yourself. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:17 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Looking through an old parts catalog, I found a steering line replacement kit, Mirage -- part # 80016. It may or may not be available.

If you are missing the cam lock knobs, and bolts that secure the Drive, they are part # 81410 and # 8040531 They look like this:

Image 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you. I did manage to 'rig' the rudder cable using blue 'weed-whacker' line - seems to be holding up pretty good. Anyway, thank you for parts number for drive hardware. I will see if I can get my hands on those. Thanks again!!