Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With tariffs on possibly all Chinese products looming next year, I considered stockpiling some items I wear out quickly while kayaking. For instance neoprene water socks (thin booties) usually cost 7 times more than the cheapo ebay versions mailed free from China (sometimes with fraudulent customs declarations). These are so useful to me in excluding sand, etc that I accept wearing them out quickly, even getting a dozen in the hard to find xl size.

For sunscreen pants loose enough for pedaling, I found comfy elastic waistband cargo pants (w/drawstring). Luckily I found size conversion from their chinese xxxl marking being same as western xl. They look respectable enough to have gotten me out of jury duty (the defense attorney would only accept jurors dressing as tweakerish as his client) yet stand up to being dragged thru shorebreak, etc.

Hands really benefit from protection from sun, blistering, and scrapes. I suppose those in cooler climates can use neoprene gloves which never seem to get affordable (esp in xl). I have embraced cooling waters with quick dry synthetic weave gloves meant for butchers, and now more like veggie cutters. They are affordable due to the seller selling tons replacements. First I got ballistic kevlar, but now I find a new less bulletproof but comfy weave that includes spandex. Most have friction pads, but I would avoid wide coatings that trap water. These also help filling your hands around a too skinny kayak paddle shaft.

By the way, for those not appreciating neoprene bootie socks, I would like to show a video of a kayaker shredding bare feet on a jagged rocky coast miles from home. Lost that link but for those wearing clunky shoes you will not be able to do a frog kick to reboard a kayak, especially with your lifevest resisting your arms pulling up. Here is how you may have to get on a stable kayak with handholds but no leg assistance: