Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am curious as to how others handle fishing from a Hobie Kayak. I have an older Outback. On numerous occasions I have lost fish because they tangle the fishing line around the mirage drive fins. Is there an easy solution for this? I can't remove the mirage drive because it is usually to windy and I do need some control of the kayak to stay away from trees and such.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What kind of fish have you been fishing for? I've never gotten my fishing line tangled in my Mirage Drive fins, even when fishing for kokanee, which frequently zoom under my kayak as I bring them towards my net.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Fish goes under the yak, then so does the rod tip- deep enough that the line clears any protuberances.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

By the way if you fold fins up against hull you will actual catch the line even more than just left vertical.

It's just a case of being aware of them and guiding rod tip away from them.

If line does get tangled pull drive and free it. Just be careful when using braid as this can slice the rubber of the fins.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was fishing on a lake for Cutthroat Trout with another guy a couple weeks ago, he hooked on that got wrapped around his drive, he pulled the drive up to untangle and up came the fish with it.

Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is a pro and a con to everything it seems. I have had the occasional fish manage to get the line tangled around the Mirage Drive. You just do the best you can to clear it and after it happens resolved to pay better attention to what may happen next time. Given this one disadvantage to having fins in the water for a fish to tangle on, the pros for those fins getting you to places where you can catch fish far outweighs the con.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wrapping around the twist and stow rudder is a bigger issue. Especially in a 16ft kayak as its harder to reach. I also have a removable front handle which minimises that too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

WAVERIDER wrote:
Wrapping around the twist and stow rudder is a bigger issue. Especially in a 16ft kayak as its harder to reach. I also have a removable front handle which minimises that too.

Waverider is right. I used to occasionally get my fishing line snagged in my twist and stow rudder when letting out line in preparation for clipping it into a downrigger release. I haven't been able to figure out a way to get the line un-snagged from my rudder when I'm out on the water. I have to either get another kayaker to unsnag it, or go to shore to unsnag it. Now I am religious about turning to keep the stern of my kayak away from my fishing line when letting out line, so I rarely get my line snagged in my rudder.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Muskateer10 wrote:
I am curious as to how others handle fishing from a Hobie Kayak. I have an older Outback. On numerous occasions I have lost fish because they tangle the fishing line around the mirage drive fins. Is there an easy solution for this? I can't remove the mirage drive because it is usually to windy and I do need some control of the kayak to stay away from trees and such.

The best advice I could provide for your consideration would be to make sure you are using a fishing rod that is long enough for you to reach the front of your yak and stiff enough to hold the fish away from the bottom of your yak. also make sure to set your drag on the reel to make sure the fish can not pull drag to get under the yak. this works for me most of the time... But there are some fish that will seen to get to the mirage drive no matter what. Good luck and happy fishing...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Be especially careful with braid line it can slice your fins