Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello there.

New to the Hobie Kayak world. I attended a demo day a few months ago, pedaled a Revo 13. Liked it. Did not feel particularly unstable on it.

Shops in my area only carry the 13, the 16 is special order only.

I ordered a 16. Shop folks told me they did not think there was a significant stability difference 13 vs 16 Revos.

My boat shows up, I take it out a couple of times. Man, the thing seems "tippy". I've already ended up in the water involuntarily a few times. One wrong move, bloop, in I go.

I'm not the most experienced kayaker in the world, but I have owned a couple of traditional sea kayaks. The most recent one was a Valley Aquanaut HV. That is a fairly narrow, fairly long, fairly speedy sea kayak. I had zero problem in that boat.

I find that with the Revo 16, once you start going over, wham, you're over. Not much chance to recover. Since your paddle is stowed, typically, when you're pedaling, you can't brace. You're just in the water.

Questions:

1. Is is just me, or is there a noticeable difference in how "tender" the 16 feels versus the 13? I feel that the 13 feels considerably more stable. Everyone at my shop, prior to purchase, said the boats are equivalent in this regard, the only difference being speed.

2. Anyone else feel pretty nervous on their 16 at first, but later learned to deal with it, i.e. adapted to the boat?

I have considered getting an AMA kit, but the downside of that to me is that it is just one more thing to lug around and hassle with. The other alternative is to take a hit and trade the boat back in on a Revo 13.

I'm going to give it some more time, but I regrettably have to admit I'm a bit disappointed at this point.

Thank you for any feedback.

Last edited by syncro87 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

Be sure the seat is all the way in the low position. Kick stands folded in and resting on the cockpit floor.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Be sure the seat is all the way in the low position. Kick stands folded in and resting on the cockpit floor.

Thanks. Yep, I set the seat up like that before I ever put the boat on the water.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry to hear you are having problems getting used to the stability of the Revo. I have not experienced any difference in the stability between the 2 boat lengths. In my experience they are both very stable and I have spent a few years fishing in all sort of conditions. Have you analyzed what you were doing when you flipped? Was your center of gravity centered in the boat?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Put a daggerboard in, that will give you instant primary stability. You can insert or remove as required. I have made up a DIY shorter version as the hobie one is quite large and mainly designed to help sailing, a bit overkill for basic kayaking. When you dont need it dont use it as its all extra drag. One of the issues moving from a regular kayak to a pedal kayak is you are not using a paddle to help brace, it feels weird "sitting on your hands' until you get used to it.

Take it for a paddle without the drive in, that will help you also get used to its width whilst still using the paddle to balance/brace. Start off on flat water before you head out into choppy conditions.

If you recline the seat you will lower your centre of gravity especially in a following sea. Raise the front seat rail (with the back left down)which will also brace you better. I found the lowest front setting less satisfactory

Dont go for amas to compensate or you will never build the confidence to learn.

You will get used to it. It actually feels like a barge now to me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You will really notice the difference with the 16 when you seem to cover bigger distance with less effort and you have to hammer your way back against heavy winds. It is also the only one you can actually paddle effectively if you have to, or have the desire to.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it. I may try the dagger board idea. I guess what confuses me is why I felt like the 13 was substantially more stable than the 16.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not been in a revo 13 But I do also have a quest 13 which is similar in hull shape. The 16 is a little "wobblier", but it is minimal. I think it feels tippier but you really have to push it to flip it. What happens is you feel it wobble then over react, then the over reaction creates a bigger issue. Take time to do some controlled rocking so you become comfortable with it and its tipping point, and you will learn not to over react.

When not actually moving hang you feet over the side as you would sitting on a surfboard.

Persevere you will get used to it. It really is not narrow for a kayak, only for a pedal boat