Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gosh hope I'm in the right category. Didn't see any DIY categories of kayaks unless I missed them?

Came with this seat. Sorry not my cup of tea especially for fishing. Too low for this 61 year old and a ***** to get out of after a day of fishing.

Built the following platform with five legs out of 3/4 inch schedule 40 and schedule 80 PVC. Had lots of scrap left over from another project.

Two back legs fit into two scupper holes behind the seat and are stopped by 't's.

Two more legs are right under the seat and it into scupper cutouts. Rubber chair tips were added to the bottom.

Another leg is at an angle in the front due to the curvature of the floor. Note the sides of the platform rest in grooves on the body of the kayak.

A seat compete with straps and buckles was purchased off of Ebay for $35.00 and no extra shipping.

Here you can see how the straps tightly fasten to the frame (underside of frame shown).

Here is the platform securely in place with the seat attached.

It is very secure, not wobbly and supports my weight of 170 lbs. easily.

I may or may not zip tie in a sheet of starboard plastic between the seat and the PVC frame. Doesn't seem to need it but a test run will tell.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had to add PVC in the form of a 'T' to the back of the seat to keep it from leaning back. Luckily had a fitting opening for the 'T' just behind the seat which was one of three rod holders also 'T's. As you can see I added a piece of pool noodle, as even with some padding in the seat, the 'T' was uncomfortable on my back. No need to glue any of the 'T' PVC parts as it's a tight fit and can be removed easily.

Works beautifully and is very comfortable. I will be able to ride and fish like this for hours.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well done! I'm sure that will inspire others to get creative.