Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had many Hobie kayaks over the years and have witnessed the cost cutting in the form of reducing the features and "extras" you get with each passing year.

I remember back when you got a dry bag and water bottle with each kayak. They eventually dropped those. Fast forward to the 2019 Compass Duo and now you only get one paddle for a tandem kayak. I realize that the primary propulsion is the Mirage Drive, but come on Hobie.

When I received my Compass Duo without a paddle, the dealer said, that must be a mistake, we'll contact Hobie and get the second paddle for you. A few days later, the response from Hobie is that the Compass Duo is marketed with only one paddle and only comes with one paddle. Oh really? Doesn't really jive with the marketing material I see on the Hobie website.

I see they have updated the main website, but I still think this is pretty deceiving and they should be supplying two paddles. Hobie, do the right thing and ship me a paddle.

See page 15 and page 26 of the catalog, both clearly show 2 paddles.

https://cdn.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/2018-2019_HobieKayakingFishingCollection.pdf?_ga=2.179825319.2004521419.1557336124-1987159349.1557336124

Not what I see on many dealer websites either. The pictures either show 2 paddles or no paddle at all.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yea, the Oasis comes with two paddles. The PA tandem does not. Doesn't look like there is consistency.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

The website is correct in that only one paddle is shown for the Duo. The brochure features list shows one paddle.

I'm not in our sales department, but the Compass line is a price point kayak. Some reduction in features is the only way to lower the cost. Most people on a Hobie Mirage kayak rarely if ever use a paddle and less would use both. Most manufactures do not include a paddle... even with a paddle kayak. It is optional as there are many choices in paddles.

So one paddle makes some sense.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It would make more sense to me to ship the TI with one paddle than the Compass Duo. I always use trampolines with the TI, so I never take 2 paddles. It also has two alternative sources of power, sail and drive.

I guess what gets me is that all the pictures in the catalogs show the Compass Duo with 2 paddles. Every other kayak that is pictured with 2 paddles comes with 2 paddles. The PA17 does not even show a paddle on the pictures.

It's as if it Hobie changed their mind at the last minute and said, "Hey, we'll increase our margin by $50/kayak if we drop one of the paddles!"

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You knew this before you bought it or at least you should have if you would have done your homework. Be happy about getting a kayak that's economical yet not stripped of quality.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Swfinatic wrote:
You knew this before you bought it or at least you should have if you would have done your homework. Be happy about getting a kayak that's economical yet not stripped of quality.

This is not a very nice thing to say. Your aim is to make them feel bad or push the knife in farther?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:33 pm 
Site Admin

Some marketing images are shot before the product is fully defined. That is a constant battle.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great comparison of the Compass Duo and the Oasis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmgikueFpGc

Helpful for future folks navigating the differences.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

pounce wrote:
Swfinatic wrote:

This is not a very nice thing to say. Your aim is to make them feel bad or push the knife in farther?

Yes sir you are correct. My frustrations clearly came out. I do get frustrated when folks seemingly become greedy after getting a fair deal. Assumptions were made both from the buyer and from the kayak shop that made this issue bigger than what it should've been. I've never considered buying a duo kayak of any kind yet I know the Compass only comes with one paddle and the Oasis with two.

We are all in school regardless of how old we are.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My assumption (AS WELL AS MY DEALERS ASSUMPTION) was that a tandem kayak would come with 2 paddles. Every Hobie tandem kayak I have ever bought came with 2 paddles. I have bought literally dozens of Outfitter, Oasis, Odyssey, and Hobie TI kayaks.

When I unwrapped the kayak and it had one paddle, I was surprised. I called my dealer. They said yeah, it should have 2 paddles. Only after they called Hobie did they realize it only came with one paddle. Hence my post here to vent my frustration...