Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

I have been reading a lots of good information in this forum and this is my first posting.

I bought my first brand new Hobie last year, it is a Revo 11 (2017 model) and I have it equipped with AMA sidekick installed by Hobie dealer.
After using it about a dozen times, I realized that my Sidekick bar holders became loose. From inspection the rubber sleeves nuts came off and to the point they could not be screwed back (broken rubber nuts). I also found out that the lumbar adjustment knob on the vantage seat has become broken and unable to hold the spring tension.

I took the yak back to dealer I purchased it from, and the guy inspected it and told me this:
1. The AMA sidekick holder bar is installed at where it is supposed to be behind the seat. It is in the correct position so a Hobie Livewell can sit where it is supposed to be when one is used. He said he has installed hundreds of them without issue.

2. The issue with the bar holder came out of the hull and broke the rubber nuts, perhaps after a number of times of bump between the knob and the bar when I sat on the Vantage seat when it is fully reclined. I am 72 kg (159 lb) and I wear life vest for offshore fishing, so some compensation of reclined angle is to be taken into the account since the padding at the back takes some space between my back and the seat.

And here is what the dealer told about how he was going to fix it.
Option A:
- Move the AMA Sidekick bar back, this will not allow my revo to be fitted with Hobie Livewell anymore
- Cover the holes with plastic welding

Option B:
- Fixed the rubber nuts on the AMA sidekick holder.
- Remove the lumbar adjustment knob on the Vantage Seat, he was like "let's be honest the lumbar adjustment is useless" - I personally do think it makes a difference to me when I use it with full tension since I have slight back problem.

I went with option B, since I do not want extra holes on the kayak.

So, after a week, I came to pick up my revo, and here is the result
- Dealer went with option A without consulting me.
- The AMA Sidekick bar was moved back about 2 inches from where it was before.
- 2 more new holes are added to accommodate the AMA holder.
- The unused holes are now covered with screws sitting on rubber washer - he said it is waterprooof - Where is the plastic welding I was told earlier??
- My vantage seat lumbar adjustment knob remains broken because the dealer said it cannot be removed/fixed.

I am quite disappointed with the so-called solution that I received and how my Hobie dealer has dealt with this issue.

I was wondering if anyone who has Revo with vantage seat plus AMA sidekick has the same issue.
If the above is what Hobie dealer thinks it is the "best" solution, then I think there is a design issue. Perhaps someone from Hobie can add shed a light to this.

Thanks,
Don

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had the same issue with my 2017 Revo 11. I think it might only be an issue with the 11 since I've not heard anything about this problem from any other model of Hobie. Directly behind the seat is the recommended place to put the sidekick ama. I think because of the dimensions of the Revo 11 cockpit the lumbar support doesn't clear the ama. It probably has enough clearance on the other models that it is not an issue. The Revo 11 is the least popular model according to the dealer I bought from. They actively tried to discourage me from buying it. Therefore I think most dealers are less familiar with the 11 and don't take any extra consideration when rigging the accessories. In other words they rig an Outback or Revo or Sport all in the same way. And every dealer I've ever spoken to automatically assumes I'm a diehard fisherman (which is not the case).

The pressure from your back is what caused the rubber well-nuts to stretch and loosen. The same happened to me. It wasn't until I had used it a couple times on the water that I found out how uncomfortable not being able to recline the vantage seat was with my PFD on. I ended up going with the same solution your dealer gave you. I moved the ama back an inch or two. Just enough to provide clearance for the lumbar support on the back of the seat. It can now fully recline without interference. I plugged the holes from the first installation with new well-nuts (inexpensive and available from Dicks sporting or west marine) and have had no issues with water leaking in.

I haven't noticed any difference in performance from the kayak under power or sail with the sidekicks a little further back. In fact it makes paddling with the sidekicks in place a bit easier. It does not effect the stability offered by the sidekicks in any negative way.