Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Launching a Revolution
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A lousy freakin day to fish. pacificwaverider.com said that cabrillo beach was flat to 1 foot swells. We were greeted by 2-4 and some 7-8 footers in the middle of the f'ing ocean. One kelp bed actually had breaking waves 400 yards FROM SHORE! Couldnt concentrate on fishing with mountainous waves passing me by. Twas a roller coaster out there. A sport fisher almost got swamped.

And I botched a landing. Wiped out in 3 feet of water. I shoulda punched into the landing. Instead, my lame brain thought I could glide in. What was I thinking! Dunked 3 reels. Lost some tools and some tackle too. My reels are soaking in SaltX now. Will rebuild them thru the week.

I did take this vid of the launch. Hope you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwMxHf-aSSE

LESSONS LEARNED: 1) When launching a kayak, dont bother with taking a vid. FOCUS on the task at hand! 2) On a slow day of fishing, there is no reason to try a slow landing :(

And top lesson learned for today NO.3!
"Read This, Live Longer. 1. Hobie Kayaks are not intended for use in rapids, or in breaking surf. 2. Hobie encourages you to wear a Coast Guard approved lifevest. 3. Always let common sense be your guide. 4. Oh yeah, exercise, eat right, and floss.

/bing

Last edited by bing! on Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Hey There
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great video Bada Bing. :)
Sorry to read you had some problems. There has been lots of heated discussion this winter on the boards about launching and landing into surf zones with mixed results. Needless to say it was a big can of these
Just glad you are all right (gear not withstanding).

We have not launched our tandem out into a "beachbreak" with peeling surf but have been in some bays and lakes with rough water, tides, boat wakes and two foot waves which kept us busy and fairly wet but no harm done.

As for Pac-wave-rider they usually get it right but I aways check two or three different report sites when deciding when and where to surf an area. Often times a low tide can make a smallish swell seem bigger, rougher and break farther out than normal at a particular location as well :wink:
kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was just joking. There is no problem with surf launching or landing the Revolution. Ive done it many times.

More than anything else, surf launching and landing is a user skill. As long as the kayak is reasonably rigid, and the user knows knows how to watch for lulls, no problemo 99% of the time.

/bing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cool video! Yellow is by far the best color! ...not that I'm partial or anything :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwMxHf-aSSE