Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I looked into the stern of my Revolution when the sun was shining on it, and saw a bright spot on the stern end of the keel where the plastic has been worn thin because I rest the kayak on its stern while getting the kayak on top of my car. How can I protect this spot on the stern from further abrasion? I don’t want to wear a hole all of the way through the hull of my kayak.

I posted a description of the way I lift my Revolution onto my car at https://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/i ... #msg204958. Because I can't clean and jerk my Revolution, I need to keep using this technique to get the kayak on my car.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When I car topped my Revolution I carried a scrap of carpet or a piece of foam. Place it on the ground at the point of contact. Pretty simple.

You could also beef up the stern with some type of protection. I’m not sure if epoxy would adhere to the plastic but it’s worth a try or some other type of product.
~JOE~

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Maybe try a couple of layers of gorilla tape? Replace layers as they abrade away

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Perhaps the same way folks repair big holes in kayaks would work. I have watched some videos where people heat up the kayak and a piece of plastic with a plastic welder or a heat gun and plastic weld the kayak. In some of the videos they add some wire mesh to strengthen the patch. Perhaps something along those lines would work. Rather than patch a hole, add a layer of plastic with some wire mesh as part of the layer.

I plastic welded a hole shut (where I removed a rivet) with a plastic welder. I cut a piece from a 5 gallon bucket for the patching material.

I am not sure if this is a good idea for that location, perhaps someone from Hobie can comment.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

reverse load it so that kayak points backwards on the car, The nose is rounder so wears better than the point formed by the rear keel.

Ideal solution is a skid piece welded on, or something formed around it and adhered with 3m double sided adhesive foam/tape.

The paddle yaks with a more pronounced keel have sacrificial and replaceable blocks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another easy solution is to bring a towel. Set the towel on the ground and lower the stern onto the towel. That would like completely solve your problem.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928