Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does anyone know, with certainty if the Evolve motor in the mirage drive well position can be connected directly to the battery without causing any problems/issues with the battery, the motor and/ or the throttle unit itself including the software ?
Also there is a ram ball mounted to the underside of the throttle box unit, can this be removed thereby allowing the unit to be attached to the H-Rail Universal mount accessory instead of using the ram unit attachment ?
I’m trying to plan/decide where/how to locate everything in advance so that I can begin installation without creating any headaches for myself .
Thanks in advance,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1. As I stated in your other post, I used the evolve directly connected to the battery without issue. I did caution that the evolve cable is only 2 ft long and you may want to get the 2m extension cable from Torqeedo (I said 1m but it is actually 2m). This will relieve stress on the cable and connector, make insertion/removal of the evolve easier, and make it easier to position the battery securely.

2. Yes, you can forego the ram mount and attach the throttle control directly to the H-rail universal mount. This is how mine is attached. This thread has pictures of this mounting method.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=59131

In your planning include a leash for the alignment rod used to remove the evolve. You want this nearby and handy for quick removal in the shallows but don’t want to lose it. You’ll also need to consider what to do with the mirage drive while using the evolve so it can be safely secured out of the way.

Cheers.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Peter
Yes I am planning for a leash on the prop alignment tool.
Thank you so much for the quick response and for answering my questions. I’ll see how it works out using just the power cable attached on the motor connected directly to the battery inside the hull before I buy a shorter power cable.
I hear you about the mirage drive storage while using the Evolve motor in the drive well. I’ll need to put that behind the seat in the cargo bay with a leash on it. I can store the motor and battery indie the forward hatch with ease but not the mirage drive unfortunately. Quality problem right ?!
Cheers