Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: side kick
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would like to buy a sidekick for my 2005 green Sport. First, I'm assuming the sidekick can work with my 2005 Sport. Is that correct? Also, has anyone seen the dark green sidekick ama kit? I've only seen pictures of the light grey. I know this sounds like a female thing, and I guess it is, but will the dark green kit clash with my green Sport or match?

~ Nanc

Post subject: Green?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Green should look pretty good. Better than the grey... and green is all we have in stock right now! :)

Oh.. and yes. They will fit on a 2005 Sport. They fit most any boat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt!

~ Nanc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine are Green. Looked great with the Green Outback and kind of funky with the orange Revo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your input. I have now ordered mine. I hope I'm pleased with them when sailing my Sport.

~ Nanc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You will love them for sailing, all that tippy feeling in strong or gusty wind will go away. Start with the ama adjusted in the down position (most stable, but most drag) and later if you adjust to a little lean to one side, move them into the higher position. ( less stable, still plenty safe from flipping and less drag)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've sailed enough time without the amas that I was assuming I'd want to start with them in the middle position. They were delivered yesterday, but I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to sail... it may be early June before I can get away and do so.

~ Nanc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

nanc,
If you have yet to purchase the turbo-fins then that should be your next upgrade. They are longer and therefor better spil preventors (centerboards) and when you pedal you can go faster or lower your cadence and go the same speed.

val :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

While the turbo fins are tempting, I have knee issues which concern me with the greater load on my knees using the turbo fins. And since the vast amount of my kayaking is done using the mirage drive rather than paddling or sailing, I need to make sure I can still do so comfortably. I'm more likely to purchase the smaller turbo fin, although I doubt they will be significantly better as a centerboard.

~ Nanc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nanc wrote:
While the turbo fins are tempting, I have knee issues which concern me with the greater load on my knees using the turbo fins. And since the vast amount of my kayaking is done using the mirage drive rather than paddling or sailing, I need to make sure I can still do so comfortably. I'm more likely to purchase the smaller turbo fin, although I doubt they will be significantly better as a centerboard.

~ Nanc

Did you have Knee Issues before you started pedalling your Hobie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote="skymax"]Did you have Knee Issues before you started pedalling your Hobie?[/quote]

Oh yes, I absolutely needed a knee replacement before I got the Sport. Bicycling and swimming were about the only two exercises that I could do without ending up half crippled, so I bought my Sport so that I could add another option for exercise. When the day comes that I can't bicycle or pedal my kayak, it will be time have the knee replacement done.

~ Nanc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nanc,
My wife spent recoverytime in the hospital recovering from hip replacement surgery with some people recovering from knee replacement surgery. The knee replacement seemed to be a popular thing and recoverywent faster than the hip replacement.

A word of caution however. If you elect to have the operation stay with your current insurer as you will have the knee stuff written out of any new coverage. We got really bumadvice on this matter and have been unable to get insurance which covers the hip or any related problem at any reasonable premium.

Another thought. I find that the push motion required by the Mirage is lots different than the rotary motion required by bicycling and does not hurt my knees nearly as much as when I use my toe clips on the bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might try riding without your Clipless system for awhile and see if your knees are better.
Although most Clipless user's are convinced they have an enormous advantage I regularily beat riders using them while I have simple, comfortable MTB pedals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
You might try riding without your Clipless system for awhile and see if your knees are better.
Although most Clipless user's are convinced they have an enormous advantage I regularily beat riders using them while I have simple, comfortable MTB pedals.

I'm so accustomed to clipless pedals that I find myself yanking my feet right off the pedals if I try to ride my bike without being clipped in. It isn't the performance advantage that makes me ride my bike with clipless pedals, but instead for safety and comfort. Safety, because I ride a recumbent bicycle where my leg could get sucked under my seat should my foot slip off the pedals and hit the ground while underway. (Some folks have gotten some nasty lower leg injuries as a result of leg suck.) And comfort because I can pull on the pedals as well as push on them, keeping me from getting "hot foot" from constant pressure on the bottom of my feet. I also feel like my quads don't tire as much when using clipless pedals. But it is all what you are used to, so I'm sure there are plenty of folks that ride without any attachment to the pedals with great success.

I'm tempted to add clipless pedals to my kayak (as someone posted on another thread), but I don't know if I want to abuse my bike sandals by getting them wet all the time. (Although I could wait until I'm in the kayak before I put the sandals on... still ruminating about switching the pedals.)

~ Nanc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

All good nanc, whatever works for you.
I had no idea I was talking to a fellow Bentrider.

I have a Volae Tour, Longbikes Slipstream, Haluzak Horizon and an SMGTe. All with MTB platties.
I have heard of Leg Suck but never experienced it.

I ride flat-footed but have never had Hot Foot, Numb Foot etc so I consider myself lucky.

Pedalling the Hobie is definately more efficient and comfortable with a stiff-soled shoe, as you know.