Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I haven't done a water test yet, but it seems to be working fine.
Installation takes 5 minutes without drill any holes.

I replaced the aluminum rudder factory pin with a longer and thinner one in the area that goes into the rudder housing. I also added a clamcleat, the holes of which fit perfectly with the holes of the rails, I even used the same screws. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I really want to do this Modification along with a H-Bar that i Ordered I do a lot of Bank and Shore Launches and getting feet wet for the rudder is just silly especially when it's cold - Is there a link to a brand or anyway you could help me get it right? I don't know why Hobie doesn't make a kit like this and save us all some trouble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As a suggestion to keep your feet dry during launching, I can attest these Kokatat launch socks are really good.
I have been using these for 5 years and having dry feet is the way to go in cold water.
IMHO, they are worth every penny!
https://www.outdoorplay.com/kokatat-hyd ... ?color=267

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ormonddude wrote:
I really want to do this Modification along with a H-Bar that i Ordered I do a lot of Bank and Shore Launches and getting feet wet for the rudder is just silly especially when it's cold - Is there a link to a brand or anyway you could help me get it right? I don't know why Hobie doesn't make a kit like this and save us all some trouble

Hey Ormonddude,
Take a look of the new removable rudder of the iTrek series, I think that will be a better solution. Of course, if Hobie decides to release it as a separate accessory. :)
I will try it as soon as possible and share the result.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I only see replacement blades and not assemblies for the Itrek anyway can you tell em where you got the longer pin? I am most likely going to machine 1 myself from a stainless rod but it's a lot of work with basic power tools

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
As a suggestion to keep your feet dry during launching, I can attest these Kokatat launch socks are really good.
I have been using these for 5 years and having dry feet is the way to go in cold water.
IMHO, they are worth every penny!
https://www.outdoorplay.com/kokatat-hyd ... ?color=267
this is a reasonable option but not what I am trying to achive my last Yak was a perception outlaw and i could literally just step onto it sit down and be off but it paddled heavy and this destroyed range. The Passport is a bottom end Hobie but still $1800 with Tax and they should stop treating it like a redheaded step child and by that I mean I chose it over other models for the wider cockpit and the Open Deck Platform because my dog likes to ride in the bow - Uprade drive to 180 no - Upgrade rudder no upgrade seat no - I honestly think this is a great boat and I just wish Hobie had more pride in it

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi I watched your youtube vids a while back and asked a question about where the steering rod connected and you answered thanks very much for that. I Purchased the same rudder and and after 5 trials in the ocean I had to change back because There seemed to be pressure on the steering rod and the slightest thing would move my rudder left or right sometimes with a clunk. I tried several different positions of the rod and the round tightening screw and it did not help I even drilled another hole to connect the steering rod to fit it as good as possible and it still moves about.. I swapped back to the old one and it works fine? Did you have any similar issues and if you did how did you fix them.. Cheers Russ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What pin did you use for the rudder and how did you remove the old pin?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I honestly think this is a great boat and I just wish Hobie had more pride in it

Plenty of pride in the Passport range, but this is a price-point product in our line. Low list price was the goal. You can upgrade to 180, but we do not have a suitable rudder upgrade offered yet.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Simple is better?
I personally like the simplicity of the basic passport rudder because it is easy to adjust/fix in future.
If I wanted a drop down rudder and/or pedal drive reverse- I think the compass makes more sense money and time wise. (+rotomold resilience definite plus for compass)

That being said, I love the fact the passport gives you a little extra moneyroom to customize what's important to you, especially if you are handy.
Maybe post in passport forum for us passport fans?
Good luck and nice idea