Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paddling the Revolution
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:30 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

A lot of users think the Revolution series tracks too poorly to paddle. This can be true. There is no skeg to speak of -- this is so rudder response can be enhanced. On the other hand, the Revos can be easily set up to track flawlessly. Below is an example -- a Revo 11 paddled for over 1 1/2 hours without once pausing to adjust the rudder. This includes all turns shown:

The key is to use the rudder as a substitute skeg. In order to do that successfully, the rudder doesn't move, once set. Since the boats expand and contract with temperature, rudder lines can get slack. This is easily correctly by removing any slack at the starboard rudder connection with a Phillips head screwdriver. With the rudder locked down and straight, all slack should be removed and a little tension introduced. If the rudder handle still moves freely, a small piece of nylon strap (or comparable) can be slipped under the rudder handle to keep it from moving without input. All turns can then be handled by the paddle and edging (tilting the boat slightly away from the turn). The Revo 11 and 13 respond well to edging, the Revo 16 less so. Likewise, the Revo 11 responds to turns best because of its short length.

Any of the Hobie rudders work, but the large rudder offers better control IMO. My all-time favorite is this customized large rudder. It is clipped shorter than the small rudder, has outstanding shallow water capabilities and retains excellent authority with relatively low drag.

Not only can the Revo 11 be made to track beautifully, you may notice it are pretty fast, even when paddling. It has a "sweet spot" between 4.0 and 4.3MPH where it really moves efficiently. Personally, I think this hull is the fastest 11' plastic boat on the market, bar none. I'm not a great paddler, but cruising at 4.3 was not difficult. If you do this, a suggestion (if you're not using the Mirage Drive) -- tape over the Drive well (plastic packing tape works great), leave a slit for drainage, and install the drivewell plug to prevent sloshing. Happy paddling! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When I bought my Revo 13 one of the factors that influenced my buying decision was the way it paddled. My main use is with the drive but occasionally I will paddle. I now own a Revo 11 as well and again paddling performance is great.
~JOE~

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If I was going to upgrade from my much loved '13 Sport it would be to a Revolution 11. So thanks, you reinforced my views with this useful info. (Have put the case for an upgrade to our House Finance Committee but one of its co-Chairs thinks dishwashers, floor coverings and bathroom renovations are the essentials of life).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Lead Belly wrote:
(Have put the case for an upgrade to our House Finance Committee but one of its co-Chairs thinks dishwashers, floor coverings and bathroom renovations are the essentials of life).
Perhaps the Finance Committee needs to be reminded that investing in equipment (such as a kayak) promotes good exercise that contributes to health, well-being and longevity. An upgrade from your present Sport is justified by the better exercise from increased usage and better cross-training. Squandering money on household improvements on the other hand, contributes to an unhealthy sedentary life style (ie: dishwasher) and future obsolescence. Finally, compare the resale value of your used Sport to the salvage value of used carpet and bath tub. The choice is obvious. Good luck in enlightening the Finance Committee! :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you rig up a removable foot rest/ bar across the footwell rather than using the side indents it will enable you to paddle with foot drive much better without feeling like you are bracing your feet against the sides of a bath tub. I paddled and raced a 2006 adventure most of last year and kept the rudder straight by just wedging bungie under the steering handle. In that model the drive hold bungie is conveniently located to do this. If any course correction is need I could just nudge it and it would stay put. As the adventure tracks straighter I used the smaller rudder so some degree of manoeuvrability was possible with rudder deployed. Very little manoeuvrability with large rudder. In calm conditions no rudder deployment needed.

Best race time 13km in 1 hr 24min =9.2kmh av.

If you want to edge these hobies a little betterto help tracking/manoeuvring install pad eyes near you shins and just run a cam strap from here to front pad eyes of the tank well and you have decent thigh straps. Also helps with leg bracing if you are just using scalloped foot rests.I just repurposed the cam straps I used to strap it to roof bars.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:31 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

WAVERIDER wrote:
Best race time 13km in 1 hr 24min =9.2kmh av.
Wow! Very impressive speeds! Are you using a Hobie paddle or something different?
Quote:
If you rig up a removable foot rest/ bar across the footwell rather than using the side indents it will enable you to paddle with foot drive much better without feeling like you are bracing your feet against the sides of a bath tub.
That's great advise! Based on your previous recommendation, I recently started doing that and it helps with power and comfort. The only downside to mine is, it tends to slide up the footwells and I frequently have to remove pressure to let it slide back down. Does yours hold its position? If so, how do you keep it anchored?

8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What a great idea! 8)
I mostly paddle my Adventure and it never occurred to me that a fix for much needed foot support could be so simple. It’s now at the top of my to do list.
I think I’ll try a simple bungee button/loop over the top corners to hold it down.
Thanks for that pic Roadrunner and Waverider for the original idea.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:20 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Thanks stringy! Using a jack chain link and some scrap Spectra, I made a hold down secured at the sail downhaul eyelet. It's not great, but better than nothing. With the longer Adventure cockpit, I like your bungee idea -- maybe just loop it around the drivewell plug and hook the ends over the foot platform? Let us know what you come up with!

BTW, are you still using the skeglets in place of the rudder? WAVERIDER was going to install some -- wonder how that worked out? 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Roadrunner,
The little skegs are still working well on my Adventure. They show no sign of coming unstuck. I have not used the rudder when paddling since fitting them, even in crosswinds up to 15 knots or so. Anything more and the pedals go in anyway.
About 6 months ago I fitted a set to our Oasis, not for paddling (as we rarely paddle the Oasis) but to improve tracking when towing the Oasis behind our 20’ Trailer Sailer. It now tows straight, no more zig zagging when underway.
I have to say that adding the skegs has been a very effective mod which greatly improves tracking.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:40 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Stringy, thanks for the update! I may have to try these out on my Adventure. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I’ve been thinking of getting the Revo 16 given that I like to paddle as well, but also enjoy handsfree fishing. Is there a difference in performance between the revo 16 2012 model and the new one? Were there significant changes to the hull?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't get it. How does the brace help? Don't you just keep your foot on the pedals the entire time? Perhaps this is something useful when floating to fish and not necessarily for pleasure peddling?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:05 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Redrum wrote:
Hi, I’ve been thinking of getting the Revo 16 given that I like to paddle as well, but also enjoy handsfree fishing. Is there a difference in performance between the revo 16 2012 model and the new one? Were there significant changes to the hull?
The hull bottom remains unchanged. The seat was changed in the 2015 models from the old pad style seat to the "vantage" seat (chair style), which required some modification the top side. A major change in the Mirage Drive came in 2017 with the introduction of the MD 180 (reversible) fins. There were minor changes in other years, but those are the most significant. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:15 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Puto wrote:
I don't get it. How does the brace help? Don't you just keep your foot on the pedals the entire time? Perhaps this is something useful when floating to fish and not necessarily for pleasure peddling?
If you are pedaling with the Drive installed or pedaling and paddling, you could use the pedals as a brace. This post refers to paddling only with the Drive not installed and the drivewell plugged and sealed. Either way, you use your legs as a "brace" against the paddling action -- this helps your core muscles engage in the paddle stroke process for more power. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have been a whitewater kayaker for 34 years. Whitewater kayaks are short, they have a lot of rocker, and they are designed to turn on a dime. You can spin many whitewater kayaks 180 degrees with one long sweep stroke. To keep a whitewater kayak going in a straight line, you have to make minor course corrections with every stroke. These corrections become automatic and second nature.

I own a Revolution and use it extensively for kayak fishing. Revolutions have a very slight amount of rocker so they will turn more easily with a rudder. From the perspective of a whitewater kayaker, when you paddle a Revolution with its rudder up, it tracks like an arrow. It doesn't track as well as a typical sea kayak with its rudder up, and it certainly doesn't track as well as a typical sea kayak with its rudder down. But it tracks very well. If you don't like the tracking of a Revolution, spend some time paddling it with its rudder up, until the minor corrections needed to keep it going precisely where you want it to go become second nature.

But a disadvantage of all sit-on-top pedal kayaks is that they lack the footbrace and thigh and hip pads which are found in whitewater kayaks, and to a lesser extent in sit-inside sea kayaks. The footbrace described earlier is one way to get more control over a Revolution when paddling. Thigh straps are another way. When paddling in and out through surf in my Revolution, I often clip in a pair of thigh straps, which give me much more control over the kayak, and let me side surf it towards the beach without getting dumped over towards the shore.