Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How do I keep water from entering the closed hatches on a capsized Hobie? Today I flipped my Revo 16 while sailing. It took several long minutes to unstep the mast, roll up the sail and turn the kayak right side up. Good thing I'm in the tropics where the sea is warm. When I remounted, the Hobie was half full of water. I could not use the Mirage Drive because the kayak was too unstable and felt like sitting on top of a log. So I paddled back slowly while doing a lot of bracing. Just ordered a pump but wondering how to seal the hatches better?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you have anything stored in front hatch? Sometimes the weight of gear on the hatch when inverted can open the seam.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There was nothing inside the front hatch when I flipped. Am thinking of doing some tests with boat upside down and if the front one leaks the most then I'll silicone it down. I've also noticed that if I fish in any kind of a swell or waves that a gallon or 2 of water always gets inside the boat.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your Revo won't ever be 100% waterproof. Too many areas where water can enter. If you flip you will get water inside your front hatch because when you turn a lid upside down it will fall open unless it is latched. You can use latches to help keep the lid closed in these situations. I used these latches to keep the hatch lid on my Pro Angler shut if this ever happens to me (I still use the bugees too). https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FV ... UTF8&psc=1

I am not sure if these will work on the Revo 16 or not. If not there are latches for just about any scenario.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you have an older Revo that was made prior to Hobie adding foam blocks,(I think before 2013) suggest investing in some pool noodles and stuffing some of them in the internal voids to improve buoyancy. Its cheap insurance even after making the hatch cover more watertight.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also ensure your rudder line exit sleeves have not perished. They always let a bit in but if the sleeve is worn/damaged it can let a lot in when submerged. I also use eva foam lining (gym mat) stuck to underside of lid to help improve seal.

Is it possible that your hull was partially flooded before it flipped, and caused the instability to flip it in the first place?

Do you use a dagger board to help with stability under sail?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I know this is an old thread but it is worth responding to. Make sure your hatch seals are not dry. Use silicon lube or WD40, etc, to keep them fresh. Take them out of the groove and work them with your fingers - they are essentially just O rings. The other thing is to make sure you have one of those plastic tubs that go inside your front hatch. While the tub doesn't create a perfect seal it really slows down the water intrusion while the boat is upside down. The pool noodles inside are also a great idea as mentioned. I put my extra pieces inside that would otherwise be useless for anything else. Pump is a must.