Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Texas Power Paddle
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone have any experience with this product? I’ve been considering a trolling motor upgrade for my compass and came across this product on austinkayak.com.

Seems very simple to install.

Post subject: Re: Texas Power Paddle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the forum!

I've looked into it and it's not for me for several reasons. I can't get passed the cost (it's considerably more than a Torqeedo 403AC), there's little or no data available on how run times on various kayaks and it's has many mounting limitations including preventing the use of a fish finder with the transducer mounted in the Lowrance ready pocket under the kayak. I understand it's designed pretty much for fishing shallow saltwater flats but most of us fish more than just those waters. Rarely are you going to find a kayak fisherman who solely fishes the salt flats that wants/needs a motor.

The fact that it costs more than a Torqeedo 403AC is shocking and disappointing to me. Even if it were the same price point as a Bixpy I still wouldn't consider it.

Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your input.
I mostly agree with you. Displacing the FF Sensor is a big problem for anyone lake fishing.

Are the Torqeedo units something you would recommend a Hobie dealer to install? Also, thoughts on the mirage drive mounted Torqeedo Evolve versus the aft mounted 403 AC?

I would guess that the aft mount still allows for mirage pedal drive use. Why would someone still want access to the mirage pedal fins with a trolling motor installed?

Thanks! Really love my new Hobie hobby.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

SaltyHorn wrote:
Are the Torqeedo units something you would recommend a Hobie dealer to install? Also, thoughts on the mirage drive mounted Torqeedo Evolve versus the aft mounted 403 AC?

I would guess that the aft mount still allows for mirage pedal drive use. Why would someone still want access to the mirage pedal fins with a trolling motor installed?

I know of several Hobie dealers that do install the Torqeedo line of electric motors. I'm not sure all dealers do but many do. The Evolve is a plug and play system with little or no mounting. It also allows you to use the motor on different kayaks if necessary. The 403 can be raised when in grassy or shallow areas and the pedal drive can then be used (to feather in shallow water). In addition to grassy or shallow water scenarios some use both the motor and pedal drive to preserve battery and/or just get some exercise. Some don't like using the motor in certain situations when stealth is important.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

SaltyHorn wrote:

I know of several Hobie dealers that do install the Torqeedo line of electric motors. I'm not sure all dealers do but many do. The Evolve is a plug and play system with little or no mounting. It also allows you to use the motor on different kayaks if necessary. The 403 can be raised when in grassy or shallow areas and the pedal drive can then be used (to feather in shallow water). In addition to grassy or shallow water scenarios some use both the motor and pedal drive to preserve battery and/or just get some exercise. Some don't like using the motor in certain situations when stealth is important.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you have any questions about our propulsion unit just reach out to us- I am Damon the owner. The Texas Power Paddle unit was designed to run in super skinny water and retract when it touches bottom or on demand. The key feature is its small size and ability to retract fully into the hull. The unit will push a Outback or PA about the speed of moderate pedaling and will last up to six hours with the included battery pack. The unit is easy to take on/off so if you want to use your fish finder one day instead of the motor it only take a few minutes. We have quite a few users on the coast and if you want to demo a unit you can at Fin Factory Kayak and Tackle in Corpus. Of course you can always come take a tour at our facility in Austin and take a spin on Ladybird Lake and see how we make them in the great state of Texas. Thanks for the support www.texaspowerpaddle.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy - Ah... the Texas Power Paddle. I absolutely love that thing. I've been using it on one of my kayaks since February 2020. It's like any propulsion system though. It just adds a different component on how to get around; but you can still use the mirage drive; so it still feels like you're kayaking. It's mentioned that its only for shallow saltwater fishing, or flats fishing. Don't get me wrong, it excels at that, but it does way more. Where I find the biggest advantage is when i use the unit to go BTB, (offshore). Form the beach to the platforms. So, it would be hard to limit it to just shallow water. Quick going out, quick coming back, and, my legs don't feel like jello. I would highly recommend it. Hey, but don't take my word for it. If you happen to come to Rockport any time soon, let me know, i'll let you try it out and give it your own review.

-Matt Murphy