Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Texas Power Paddle
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone have any experience with this product? I’ve been considering a trolling motor upgrade for my compass and came across this product on austinkayak.com.

Seems very simple to install.

Post subject: Re: Texas Power Paddle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the forum!

I've looked into it and it's not for me for several reasons. I can't get passed the cost (it's considerably more than a Torqeedo 403AC), there's little or no data available on how run times on various kayaks and it's has many mounting limitations including preventing the use of a fish finder with the transducer mounted in the Lowrance ready pocket under the kayak. I understand it's designed pretty much for fishing shallow saltwater flats but most of us fish more than just those waters. Rarely are you going to find a kayak fisherman who solely fishes the salt flats that wants/needs a motor.

The fact that it costs more than a Torqeedo 403AC is shocking and disappointing to me. Even if it were the same price point as a Bixpy I still wouldn't consider it.

Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your input.
I mostly agree with you. Displacing the FF Sensor is a big problem for anyone lake fishing.

Are the Torqeedo units something you would recommend a Hobie dealer to install? Also, thoughts on the mirage drive mounted Torqeedo Evolve versus the aft mounted 403 AC?

I would guess that the aft mount still allows for mirage pedal drive use. Why would someone still want access to the mirage pedal fins with a trolling motor installed?

Thanks! Really love my new Hobie hobby.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

SaltyHorn wrote:
Are the Torqeedo units something you would recommend a Hobie dealer to install? Also, thoughts on the mirage drive mounted Torqeedo Evolve versus the aft mounted 403 AC?

I would guess that the aft mount still allows for mirage pedal drive use. Why would someone still want access to the mirage pedal fins with a trolling motor installed?

I know of several Hobie dealers that do install the Torqeedo line of electric motors. I'm not sure all dealers do but many do. The Evolve is a plug and play system with little or no mounting. It also allows you to use the motor on different kayaks if necessary. The 403 can be raised when in grassy or shallow areas and the pedal drive can then be used (to feather in shallow water). In addition to grassy or shallow water scenarios some use both the motor and pedal drive to preserve battery and/or just get some exercise. Some don't like using the motor in certain situations when stealth is important.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

SaltyHorn wrote:

I know of several Hobie dealers that do install the Torqeedo line of electric motors. I'm not sure all dealers do but many do. The Evolve is a plug and play system with little or no mounting. It also allows you to use the motor on different kayaks if necessary. The 403 can be raised when in grassy or shallow areas and the pedal drive can then be used (to feather in shallow water). In addition to grassy or shallow water scenarios some use both the motor and pedal drive to preserve battery and/or just get some exercise. Some don't like using the motor in certain situations when stealth is important.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you have any questions about our propulsion unit just reach out to us- I am Damon the owner. The Texas Power Paddle unit was designed to run in super skinny water and retract when it touches bottom or on demand. The key feature is its small size and ability to retract fully into the hull. The unit will push a Outback or PA about the speed of moderate pedaling and will last up to six hours with the included battery pack. The unit is easy to take on/off so if you want to use your fish finder one day instead of the motor it only take a few minutes. We have quite a few users on the coast and if you want to demo a unit you can at Fin Factory Kayak and Tackle in Corpus. Of course you can always come take a tour at our facility in Austin and take a spin on Ladybird Lake and see how we make them in the great state of Texas. Thanks for the support www.texaspowerpaddle.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Howdy - Ah... the Texas Power Paddle. I absolutely love that thing. I've been using it on one of my kayaks since February 2020. It's like any propulsion system though. It just adds a different component on how to get around; but you can still use the mirage drive; so it still feels like you're kayaking. It's mentioned that its only for shallow saltwater fishing, or flats fishing. Don't get me wrong, it excels at that, but it does way more. Where I find the biggest advantage is when i use the unit to go BTB, (offshore). Form the beach to the platforms. So, it would be hard to limit it to just shallow water. Quick going out, quick coming back, and, my legs don't feel like jello. I would highly recommend it. Hey, but don't take my word for it. If you happen to come to Rockport any time soon, let me know, i'll let you try it out and give it your own review.

-Matt Murphy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, just received my Texas Power Paddle and thought I'd share my experience.

Model: "Marlin Intergrated Rudder Propulsion Kit
https://shop.texaspowerpaddle.com/collections/propulsion-systems/products/integrated-rudder-propulsion-kit

How I use it:
- I am using the motor in calm coastal waters to ferry my family around to different beaches - not to fish
- I fit it to a Hobie Compass Duo using the Marlin Rudder Kit

How it performs:
- In the Compass Duo, at full power, with me pedaling quite gently on the Mirage, carrying 1 wife, 2 kids, a loaded cooler box and a dog (probably 200kg) I average about 3-4MPH. With my wife and I paddling and no extra weight I imagine we could average 5MPH indefinitely will taking breaks whenever we want to. 1 hour of running uses about 40% of the battery (brand new, so I presume their 2hour estimate is quite accurate).

Why its great:
A lot of very shallow water, rock and beach landing around us. With the rudder pulled up using the stock rudder retraction system (which also folds up automatically if impacted) the motor is fully nestled in cavity between the rudder and the hull. It is completely protected and I don't need to worry about it when dragging the kayak onto the beach or hitting a rock. As designed, it runs in extremely shallow water.
Also the speed control which attaches onto the stock Hobie rudder control is ultra simple and does not require any extra attachments or loose controls. Although I havn't used the Bixpy or Torqueedo, this system is undoubtedly the least invasive and essentially keeps the kayak running as stock - no need to swap out mirage drive, no need to drill any holes, no need to add bars/tillers, no need to attach and remove motor every time. Super simple and low friction.

Installation:
Instructions said 15 minutes. Took me under 5 minutes, and I have a hard time with Ikea. Excellent manual and online instruction videos. No decoding Swedish logic necessary.

Comparison with Torqueedo/Bixpy:
Not sure where one of the above posters got the idea that the Torqueedo was cheaper... as listed Bixpy $1350, Power Paddle $1800, Torqeedo 403A $1800 (all including mounting kits). But lets look at what you're really buying - the battery . Included battery: Bixpy 378wh/25.2v, Power Paddle 615wh/16v, Torqeedo 320wh/29.6v.

Now I presume the Power Paddle will be the least efficient because the motor is mounted very shallow -but I doubt it is more than a couple % difference. But basically, if we consider that the Power Paddle drains its battery in 2 hours (already probably minimum to be practical for most use), the Torqueedo & Bixpy might out run it, but will just run out of batteries impractically quickly. In fact, the Torqueedo 403A seems downright silly - too much motor for a little battery - the 403AC makes much more sense with a 915wh battery, but pushes the price up to $2,300.

So, I think the Power Paddle has a really good mounting system with very little tradeoff.
If you want to save money, I guess the Bixpy seems like a really good deal.
If you want to turn your kayak into a speedboat I guess the 403AC at $2,300 is probably the way to go....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got a Texas Power Paddle for my Revolution 13. I actually got the new version that attaches to the twist-and-stow rudder.

I've taken a few trips with it so far and am loving it. It is very unobtrusive: the rudder goes up-and-down with ease, and most of the time when I am paddling or pedaling with it off, I don't notice any drag. I throw the battery in the rear-well and the control slides onto the rudder control easily. Very easy to set-up and disconnect.

Speedwise I find it about equivalent to peddling moderately (faster than paddling). I have run it for probably three hours or so and used around 50% battery. The noise is pretty tame (you hear it but I don't find it obtrusive). For short trips I just leave the battery and control at home and the motor on the rudder -- no problem.

I use it primarily on long trips (>10 miles) to give myself a break now and again. The ultimate test to me was whether I would bring it along for trips where I didn't think I would need it but might: i.e. was it simple enough to bring alone and useful enough even when I thought I wouldn't need... answer is yes.

Expensive but I do recommend it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Took it on another trip today, a couple details I thought I would add:

* With the throttle at ~75% I was doing about 4.2 MPH. (That was with ~350 lbs of person and gear in a Revolution 13.)
* Noise was low enough I could still hear the water lapping against the kayak
* Going approximately 4 miles on motor-only used about 40% of battery.
* Throttle attaches securely to rudder control, but easy to slide on-and-off (to, for example, get in-and-out of boat)
* Having the motor mounted behind the rudder guards it against hitting obstructions, something that concerned me with the mirage drive-based motors.
* Paddling or Pedaling with the motor running was a nice way to still get exercise while going faster for the same effort

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looking to demo a Texas Power Paddle if possible in South FL. I am located in the upper keys. Or at least get some good intel.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm trying to understand the difference in motor size between the Texas Power Paddle (TPP) and Bixpy.

The part of the TPP in the water appears to be the prop, the prop housing/shroud, and I assume a very small motor. Whereas the Bixpy has that torpedo shaped housing (motor housing only?) ahead of the prop and prop housing/shroud.

Why such a radical difference in size?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

creekstone wrote:
I'm trying to understand the difference in motor size between the Texas Power Paddle (TPP) and Bixpy.

The part of the TPP in the water appears to be the prop, the prop housing/shroud, and I assume a very small motor. Whereas the Bixpy has that torpedo shaped housing (motor housing only?) ahead of the prop and prop housing/shroud.

Why such a radical difference in size?

Yeah, I see what you mean... the TPP motor definitely looks significantly smaller, even though the actually prop blades look similar in size. Not sure what the answer to that is -- maybe Bixby is more powerful, or maybe TPP uses a more sophisticated motor design... ?

I wonder how the two compare thrust-wise?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe that I found the source of the TPP motor: https://bluerobotics.com/store/thruster ... ter-r2-rp/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For Christmas I decided to get a $500 kayak. After much research a dealer close by 25 miles had a new seagrass green
Compass that a customer ordered and just backed out. Ordered sail and a Texas power paddle and both arrived quickly.
Hoped that I could put the battery box for the ttp under the floor but even with the square hatch upgrade it will not fit. Due to sailing wanted to keep the center of gravity as low as possible.
Added hookreveal 5 GPS /FF yak lithium 12 voltage, roller furling, H rails cooler 6 rod holders net dry suite gloves booties thermals ancor and trolly sock vhf pdf ect. ect. Hope to maiden if it will warm up a bit on the south Oregon coast.. I went a bit over budget $7K+