Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the option to buy a Hobie Tandem in pristine condition from 2006. It still has the stickers on it, an unused sail kit, and two pristine V1 drives. Stored indoors and no UV fading. I know that Outbacks and Islands pre 2009 were very prone to Hull cracks around the drive well, especially if people upgraded to the turbo drive. There was a reinforcement kit made specifically for these model, but it has been discontinued.

Was this True across the board for all the pre 2009 Hobies? I’ve searched and found no mention of Hull cracks or reinforcement kits for the standard tandem. If I buy it, I imagine I will do my own reinforcement using fiberglass mesh and G-force epoxy around the Drive well and where the cam locks bolt on, if I can access it enough through the hatch. I will also only upgrade to the ST fins, and not the turbos to reduce stress. I would also like to upgrade to the longer cam bolts, but have been unable to find any specifications on these (if anyone has some, let me know).

Is this worth it or am I doomed to hull cracks and a short kayak life? It’s a beautiful looking craft, and I’d live to give it a full life of adventure.

Thank you for your advice.