Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The new Oziconcept Folding Kayak trailer will be making its debut very soon in the US market. This is the perfect solution for those that want/need a trailer, but don't have the storage space for a conventional trailer.I was previously involved with another folding trailer, the Bulldog Folding Trailer several years ago. While the concept was there with the Bulldog, the trailer had many issues which finally lead me to stop representing the product. The Oziconcept trailers use a similar patented folding mechanism, but that's the only similarity. The OZI is precision engineered and built-in France using a high-quality stainless steel chassis and components. It sports a unique load suspension system, radial tires, sealed LED lights, meets all NHTSA/FMSS requirements, and comes with crossbar extensions for carrying two or more kayaks. I've been using the Ozi since May and have logged over 5,000 miles on it including a 3,000-mile road trip from Colorado to Louisiana and back. The trailer has performed flawlessly. The first shipment is due into the states in Feb 2021 and they're currently taking pre-orders. The genius of this trailer is that within a couple of minutes it folds up and stores in the corner of your garage, taking up less room than an average trash bin!
If you have any questions about the trailer you can contact me at 720-552-7974 or [email protected] or visit the website at http://www.folding-trailer-us.com
Click the Youtube link to see a preview of the Oziconcept Kayak Trailer https://youtu.be/GGlPLVywFLY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It does indeed look like a very practical trailer. I have been reading about it in Europe for a couple of years. I would buy it immediately if there were a longer version for a Tandem Island. But apparently, it's not possible. :(

Last edited by Chess on Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chess, thank you for your comment. I haul my PA14 on the trailer with room to spare, but the Tandem Island at 18'6" would be 4.5' longer. One possible solution would be to use a hitch extender. Torklift makes a 48" receiver extender for your hitch effectively lengthening the trailer from 12'6" to 16'6". That should give you plenty of room for the Tandem Island. The only other accessory you'd need is a 4' wiring extension for the lights.
Just a thought.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for your reply, jeffdrugmand!

I must admit I didn't even know that hitch extenders existed! It does look like a potential solution. However, I am currently in Europe, and I think this product isn't available. In addition to that, installing the hitch receiver and extender, plus the trailer, does come at a steep cost. And it would only allow one specific car (with the receiver installed) to tow the trailer. It would be a lot easier and cheaper to develop an optional tongue extender for the trailer itself. I would definitely buy it. It is a real pity that there are no folding trailers in the market for the Islands. It would be very convenient. I really love the Ozyconcept trailer, and would definitely consider it if I owned shorter kayaks. Any chance Ozyconcept could come up with a tongue extender?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chess, Shoot me an email at [email protected]
We came up with a design for a Tandem Island and I'd like to get your feedback

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chess,
Check this out.
https://imgur.com/a/dbPFpPE

What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It looks amazing! I will send you an email.

Thanks a lot,

Chess.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How cool is Hobie and this site? Instead of editing competition off these forums, Hobie inspires collaboration. Hobie is serving not just themselves but their customer base. A guy comes on the site and he is not just hawking a product. He is a producer who is trying to serve the community. The Producer (JeffDrugmand) and a consumer (Chess) can deliberate to come up with a solution thereby benefiting each other, Hobie and its customers, and the entire kayak community. Thank you Hobie!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the kind words Puto. You're absolutely right. Kudos to Hobie for allowing this type of discourse on their forum. I'm not only involved with Oziconcept trailers, but an avid kayak fisherman and proud owner of a Hobie PA14, so I enjoy being able to offer solutions to the Hobie and kayak fishing community.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I couldn't agree more with you, Puto! As a Spanish speaker, I have issues mentioning your user name :D .

I have to say that Jeff and Philippe, in France, worked out a great solution in very little time. In fact, I realised that I might have actually served others rather than myself with my request :) . It seems that a longer version of this practical folding trailer, capable of carrying the Island and Adventure Island, will be available in the US. However, it might not happen in Europe, where I am based, as the certification process is long and expensive. We would need to have enough Island and Tandem Island owners in Europe interested for it to make business sense for the manufacturer.

Cheers! And indeed, thank you Hobie for this tremendously useful forum!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Chess wrote:
I couldn't agree more with you, Puto! As a Spanish speaker, I have issues mentioning your user name :D .

I'm quite certain I have no idea what you're talking about ;-)